300 cube build

Discussion in 'Member's Blogs' started by steve, Jan 6, 2014.

1. steve

steve Active Member

im not sure sure if this is a place to put a build log on a tank but I didn't see anywhere else that would be a better spot so here goes. this will be the build log on my 300 gallon cube that im trying to make as a west African biotype. there will definitely be some fish and inverts that are not from Africa but im trying to keep it as close as it can. first couple pics are just of the background then there are the updated ones that show the substrate in place.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    backroom shot showing my sump and frag tank that will be used as a counter light cycle plant growing area.
    [​IMG]
    topsoil and the eggcrate barrier in place. after this I placed a plastic mesh to keep cichlids out of the soil.
    [​IMG]
    safety sorb in place and ready to some water.
    [​IMG]
    once I debug 2 of my diy led pendants and get them all wired I will post pics of the pendants and the tank with decent lights over it. if anyone has a good answer for how long do you leave the water level low when you are doing a dry start I would appreciate it.
  2. Natives2WI

Natives2WI Well-Known Member

what are the planned inhabitants. Beautiful start to the tank. I like the natural look.. I might post pictures of my 125 tonight.. its my little slice of heaven.
  3. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Steve,

I've been watching this thread on PlantedTank. It looks like it is going to be an amazing tank when you get it filled!

Eric
  4. Axis

Axis Active Member

wow, im stunned......this is the size cube id die to have my clownfish in....put it in the middle of my living room in place of a TV since we dont own one. ;D
  5. Natives2WI

i don't know many people who have a TV in the MIDDLE of their living room :p
    Axis likes this.
  6. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

Did you build the tank? I like the interlocking corners on the wood frame.
  7. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

So I am guessing 41 * 41* 41. 1/2 inch thick glass?
  8. Natives2WI

It looks shorter in height than it is in length/width.. Just going off of glass cages website, my guess is 48 x 49 1/2x 30 1/2 Tall ( 3/4 glass )
  9. Marine590622

Well that would not really be a cube.
  10. steve

steve Active Member

natives has the correct dimensions. without measuring it most people assume it is a cube, and for that matter most tanks described as cubes have a different height than width and length. I did not do the woodwork, but had it made for me by a local builder. I did take some new pics today to show how the leds are coming along. first is a pic down into one of the pendants
    [​IMG]
    then a pic of the 5 pendants over the tank.
    [​IMG]
    the pendants are adjustable in all 3 dimensions and can also be angled by adjusting their hangers. the next pic shows the tank lit by only the 5 main 30 watt leds. they are bridgelux bxra30s with a color temp of 4k.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I know its hard to judge light intensity from a picture so I took par readings. in the center the par at the substrate was 137 so I will have to dim them quite a bit. I want to try to get the lights finished by the end of the weekend and have pics with all the colors on for comparison. I would also love to get it planted but that will depend on how my leg is feeling, its hard to work on a ladder after knee surgery.
  11. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Very nice!
  12. Marine590622

Was the par reading done with the tank full?
  13. steve

steve Active Member

no there is around 3 inches of water in the tank. I often hear that the par will go up when you fill the tank do to the refraction but I don not know that for a fact. I will recheck par with the same lights on to see if it changes.
  14. Narwhal72

Narwhal72 Well-Known Member

Water will attenuate light and PAR will go down. Depends a lot on the clarity of the water but you should expect to lose about 15-20%.

Ripples on the surface will cause momentary refraction of light from point source illumination (LED's). These create the natural dappled sunshine look you see underwater in sunshine. So PAR does go up but this is only a fraction of a second each time and the areas around the increase have corresponding decreases.

The light appears very warm to me but that could be the white balance on the camera or my own monitor.

Andy
  15. steve

steve Active Member

you are correct the light is very warm. I also have always figured on attenuation of the light when the tank is full but I do often see on light build threads the statement that I put in my above post. I plan on firing up two cool xmls, 2 royal blues, 2 cool blues, 1 turquoise, and 1 violet, and seeing what that does to the color. each fixture also has 2 red leds I case I need them. they all lit up fine on my pool table. now that they are over the tank and hard to get to they wont light up so I have to debug and find the short/fault. this wouldn't have been tough except I want to run the 6 other colors on 5 independent dimming channels so I can control the color temp and get it right and try to a little extra pop in the colors of stuff. im putting plants in it this afternoon. the light may not be the right look but im sure it will grow plants. after getting the bottom fully planted I think I will wait a week or 2 at least to let the plants root in a bit before filling it and putting it online with the sump.
  16. Natives2WI

what kind of plants and stock list are you planning?
  17. steve

steve Active Member

planning a west Africa biotype as much as possible. plants will be anubias, apons, ammania, crinums, marselia minuta, dhg, and a few more that are African natives. fist will also be mostly African riverine sp.
    Aquaticus likes this.
  18. Ashley

Ashley Well-Known Member

Awesome!
  19. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Let me know when you are doing a fish room tour! :)
  20. steve

steve Active Member

I think I will wait until I have some fish in a tank before I do that. maybe this summer sometime. that way my pond will look good as well.
    Chuck and Aquaticus like this.