700 reef build.

Discussion in 'Member's Blogs' started by steve, Nov 12, 2014.

1. steve

steve Active Member

restarting my big tank build that has been on hold for 3 years now. water is circulating and temporary lights are working. still need to scape the rock into a decent form, but have an isolation system up and ready for some fish now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i think i will be able to start stacking rock this weekend if i make some good progress i will post after pics. if not i will put some backroom pics of the system up.
  2. suds1421

suds1421 Member

3. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Awesome! What are the dimensions on that beast?
  4. steve

steve Active Member

36x36x130
    lost of fun getting to the bottom and the back to get the reef built. mad at my 2 year ago self for not sucking it up and getting in there putting the rock in the right positions. sure the old me had just had ACL replacement but what was I thinking. now im going to have to wear a mask and snorkel and get in past my shoulders.
  5. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

Take pics
  6. steve

steve Active Member

I should just strap the go pro to my forehead.
  7. steve

steve Active Member

still havent done any real scaping yet but here are some updated pics with a few fish and better lights. i must have a bad ballast and one of my bulbs is too yellow. still not sure what 400 watt mh i will go with. to my eye most of the tank is too blue except for 1/3 of the way from the right which is too yellow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Aquaticus likes this.
  8. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

I think the lights would look just fine in my basement.;)
  9. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Dave, you could heat your house on a 400w MH! :)
  10. steve

steve Active Member

a few old pics and some behind the scene shots to show the system.
    2 pics to give a sense of scale.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    equipment storage and sink
    [​IMG]
    the view behind the reef. the tank on the ground is one of 3 180 gallon linked sumps. the frag tank on the right is 30x90x12
    [​IMG]
    water mixing station. 2 linked 100 gallon containers.
    [​IMG]
    more storage and reactors. eventually may add a surge tank up here and a auto frozen food feeder.
    [​IMG]
    close up of reactors. left to right biopellet, phosphate remover, carbon with the ca reactor in front.
    [​IMG]
    back of tank showing the shadow boxes, the return rotators, and the light rack.
    [​IMG]
    Blue2Fyre likes this.
  11. steve

steve Active Member

ok now for some shots from today to show the arrangement of the rock. the rock is close to how i want it but not quite correct yet. i need to move a few small rocks and do something different with the large vertical shelf rock. i was thinking to trying it at an angle to keep it from looking too orderly but i cant quite get it right.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i really like the look for the right side with the large branch tangle.
    Aquaticus likes this.
  12. steve

steve Active Member

a couple little changes and added some corals to the tank. still cloudy from moving a bunch of sand around. I still think I need to tweak the position of the large flat shelf in the left middle of the tank but it is getting closer. one thing im noticing is that although im breaking the rules by having a break just about in the middle of the tank it does not drive me crazy. I think that it is because of the length of the tank you cannot take the whole thing in without shifting your view so that the middle appears about 2/3 of the way across the view of the tank. I have also switched out light 2 and 4 for 400 watt 12 k reeflux bulbs. I think they are my favorite of all the bulbs I have had over the tank so far. not sure if I will buy 3 more immediately or wait until the 3 others are aged a bit and then upgrade them to the 12 k reeflux. the advantage of that would be that I would be only changing 2/5 and then 3/5 of the lights at a time to help avoid shocking the corals. anyway a few pics of the new look.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Natives2WI likes this.
  13. tjudy

tjudy Advisory Board Staff Member

is the computer screen on the table in front of the tank a control panel?
  14. steve

steve Active Member

no just Lenovo all in one. I like it because I can fold it down and look at the tank or show off the tank to company. I am running an apex controller on the tank but normally look at it on the other computer.
  15. steve

steve Active Member

a few updates on the reef as well. full tank then some close ups.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. steve

steve Active Member

17. imprezars

imprezars Active Member

Great looking tank!!
  18. steve

steve Active Member

a few pics of the tank today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

Thanks for the pics, but I hate to say, they just don't do the tank justice. It was great to see it in person.
    Aquaticus likes this.
  20. Natives2WI

Natives2WI Well-Known Member

What is on the wall on the other side of the desk?