air pump question

Discussion in 'DIY' started by fishlady, Nov 12, 2011.

1. fishlady

fishlady Well-Known Member

I am setting up 4 30 gallon tanks 2 on top 2 on bottom and would like to run 8 large sponge filters. What would be your best recommendation for how to run air to these tanks?
    Thanks
  2. JustinW

JustinW Member

get 2 smaller pumps that have 2 outputs, one for each shelf.

Do you currently have an air pump? If so run some air line to them, especially if you have big bubbles or bleeder valves
  3. fishlady

I have several air pumps just wondering if it would be better to go with one large pump or smaller one's for each tank, or two pumps running one centeral line that would feed all 4 tanks. Trying to be energy efficent yet still have plenty of air power.
  4. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

Get a hold of Marine(randy) I've not seen it, but he makes some kind of "loop" that would work for this set-up.

Dusty
  5. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

Get one pump to run them all. In fact, you can get a pump to run all your tanks. In a basement setting this is pretty easy since you aren't worried about hiding things. If your tanks are not in the basement, it is still possible to run a single pump in one room, and then run PVC out to your tanks with taps in the PCV to run tubing to the airstones. You will pull a lot less energy by running a centralized pump than lots of little pumps. If this isn't an option, you can still set up groups of tanks to run off of one larger pump. The fewer pumps you are running, the less energy you will pull.
  6. fishlady

I have the pvc with the air valves attached that I got from a old petstore however not sure how to hook up the air pump to it. I like the idea just not exactly sure how to pull it all together, don't have a pump strong enought yet either. Hate when I am stuck in idea mode :lol:
  7. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

Pat you going to be at the meeting on Sat?

I can bring in one of my smaller loops and let you see how it works.
  8. fishlady

Planning on coming and I would appreciate that.
  9. dxiong5

dxiong5 Member

Dave, do you mean one large, powerful pump? Would it be effective/economical to feed 1-2 pumps [those one can easily buy at an LFS] into a PVC loop, then tap it to the tanks? I'm just curious about the noise of a large pump. Right now I'm running nine 10 gallon tanks, and each pair is being pumped with a single double outlet pump, so four pumps total, plus one :shock:
  10. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

Donny, this is the way that Marcel runs his rack in the basement, and the way that I run several smaller loops.
  11. dxiong5

dxiong5 Member

Thanks Randy. I'd be interested in checking out one of your loops as well.
  12. Dave

Donny,

The linear piston pumps are pretty quiet, but I run mine in the basement so it doesn't bother me at all. Are you still running the tanks in your bedroom? That might make having a big pump a bit overkill. Pat does have a basement, so there are options for her to run air from the basement up to the first floor, or maybe run the pump in one room and run lines out from there. In Pat's case I think that energy effeciency is her primary concern, but even if it wasn't I would prefer one or two large pumps over lots of small pumps. If you like, you can swing by my place and take a look at my air system to get ideas for your needs.

Dave
  13. fishlady

Ok put together my air loop today. Used 1" pvc because that is what I had to work with.
    Question: Does the linear air pumps need time to build up pressure or should I have all I am going to get right away?
  14. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

Should be all you will get it should not change unless something is wrong with the pump
  15. fishlady

Not good then, because it's not running much at all. It's running less than 4 double air pumps did.
  16. Dave

Well, what pump are you running, make and model? Is your loop air tight? Sounds like you are leaking air or you have a really small pump. What is this pump running? How many drops in what sized tanks?
  17. fishlady

Medo 120 air pump. What I was hoping it would run is 5 55's, 5 33's, 4 30's, 5 10's, 4 1 gal containers, and 1 56 acrylic. Figuring 1 sponge filter in the 10's, just air line to the 1 gal containers, and hopefully at least 2 sponge filters in all the other tanks.

Does the length on the air loop effect it as well?
  18. Dave

Nope, but the depth of the tank does.
  19. fishlady

Now the air pump stopped running. :mad:
  20. see if there is a rebuild kit. maybe the piston or diaphragm (depending on model) inside is cracked or lost a seal in a gasket. a lot of pumps are fixable for fraction of what you think it would cost.