Another CO2 question

Discussion in 'Planted Aquarium Tech' started by Megan, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Megan

Megan Advisory Board Staff Member

2. Megan

Okay, so I read Amazon.com reviews and I'm nixing this system. I'd really rather not pay $400-500. Is there a good and economical alternative?
  3. waterboy

waterboy Active Member

Air bubbles.
  4. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

I'd recommend putting one together in parts:
    • CO2 tank (get a 5 lb tank)
    • Regulator
    • Needle valve
    • Solenoid
    • Diffuser
    Alternatively, you can try a homebrew system with yeast if you want to see the effects before spending the money on a system.
  5. Megan

What are good brands to look for? I can't find any Solenoid on Amazon that gets consistently good reviews.
  6. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

Megan likes this.
  7. Megan

Thank you for all the advice. I really appreciate it. This stuff is expensive enough I don't want to buy things that don't work the way they should.
  8. Megan

Badger Welding Supply has a 5lb tank for $78 - filled. Looks like a good deal compared to the empty ones I found online.
    Aquaticus likes this.
  9. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

In the long run, the cost of a tank is small. The CO2 will last a long time, and the tank will last forever.
    Megan likes this.
  10. Megan

Is this regulator okay? The guy at aquariumplants.com said it won't be accurate enough for a planted tank:[​IMG]
  11. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

You want a dual stage regulator so that you have constant pressure even at the end of the tank
    You need to have a needle valve or you will not have the control you need.
    To automate the system you can add a ph probe and an electronic solenoid.
    So yeah the systems add up pretty quickly. But compared to the cost of gassing a tank full of expensive fish....
  12. Megan

My question was whether this regulator will work or not. The guy at aquariumplants.com said I should buy his regulator because the pressure gage would not be exact enough since it is designed to deal with bigger volumnes of gas than I would be using in a planted tank. I already purchased this regulator which is a dual stage regulator (see picture). There was a post on the plantedtank forum that listed brands to look for and features to look for. This regulator met all the requirements, so I purchased it.