Any Electricians in the club?

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Sean S, Oct 25, 2016.

  1. Sean S

    Sean S Executive Board

    I need to upgrade the electrical capabilities in my basement fish room. I had power issues this weekend while I was gone, came back to 40 plus tanks not running. Due to God's graciousness I only lost a couple batches of Angelfish wigglers.

    All those tanks are on one circuit and the breaker kept tripping on me. After unplugging all the lights and many of the heaters I was able to get the tanks to stay running and I am slowly adding heaters back to the system to prevent a big power drain. Some of the lights are still off but I was able to get the majority of them back on.

    I obviously need a few more circuits down there considering I want to eventually add another 40 plus tanks. The circuit box has room for more circuits but I have absolutely zero acumen for electrical work and I wouldn't want to screw it up. I do not currently have the budget for a professional electrician to rewire my basement but I will need something done soon. So if anyone would like to work for fish, plants, etc., maybe some cash I would be very appreciative.
  2. tjudy

    tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

    How many amps is the breaker?
  3. Sean S

    Sean S Executive Board

    I don't know, I will see if I can figure out where to look.
  4. AreYouKiddingMe

    AreYouKiddingMe Active Member

    I've been electrocuted a few times.. does that make me an electrician ;)
    SteveS likes this.
  5. hazard

    hazard Active Member

    I have a 20smp circuit for each side of the fishroom and then another 20 amp circuit for the blower.

    SteveS likes this.
  6. JeffW

    JeffW Well-Known Member

    I run a 20 amp breaker on each wall of my fish room. 7 outlets on each breaker. So 28 outlets total. Did it myself then had an electrician come in to do my Central Air and Furnace wiring. He looked over the work and said it was all good.
  7. SteveS

    SteveS Advisory Board

    Once you get up to around that many tanks you need to have lines for each type of equipment so that stuff dosent happen. Good to hear that there wasn't any big losses. In some municipal areas you can do the work yourself if you own the house or with only a 20 dollar permit and than have it inspected quick by the building inspector. Other municipal areas you have to jump through hoops and mess around with hiring certified people. The only law that is a must in the state is that every work done NEW ,needs either arc fault breakers or a GFCI outlet. Pretty easy . I wish lived closer so I could help as it sounds like you need this done sooner than later. An option until u can get it done is just use a good outdoor heavy duty extention cord and run it for the pump at least from another line. That might help the load out from tripping until you get a new line or 2 installed.
    Marine590622 likes this.
  8. kb9skw

    kb9skw Executive Board

    The best thing you could do is run a 240 volt line from the main box and install a box with the proper circuits in the room. Of course you need a spare 240 volt breaker to start for this to work.
  9. bahamafj11

    bahamafj11 Well-Known Member

    You got shocked. You only get electrocuted ONCE!:eek:
  10. AreYouKiddingMe

    AreYouKiddingMe Active Member

    Lol.. i have 9 lives.. well now about 4 but yeah.. I was.. i was also one of them stoopid kids who licked an outlet.. yes.. this explains soo much about me.

Share This Page