Anyone have experience with Angler/Frog fish?

Discussion in 'Marine Fish' started by Natives2WI, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Natives2WI

Natives2WI Well-Known Member

I know we do not have a ton of salt water keepers on here, but does anyone have experience keeping the anglerfish or frogfish (Histrio & Antennarius.) I guess my questions would be can they be kept with more of their own kind, are/is there anything else that is compatible with them?

I am thinking of doing a saltwater algae tank with Halimeda sp, Caulerpa, etc. live rock, live sand and maybe a single mangrove tree (baby of course) and then a sump under the tank with chaeto (maybe some in the tank too).

Does that sound like a good idea?
  2. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

Put all that macro algae in the sump. make a refugium area in a sump to feed and filter the main tank. I would avoid calurpa it can go A sexual and wreck your tank.

Dusty
  3. Natives2WI

But dusy, these things are found around, in, floating with, the algae, the idea of it within the tank is to create the natural habitat for them.
    and what do you mean by this?
  4. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

asexual reproduction?
  5. Natives2WI

well I am confused, aren't all plants Asexual? calurpa spreads like Vals do.
  6. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

When caulerpa goes sexual (blooms/spreads)it puts a tremendous bio-load on your tank. It will turn your water to a milky mess killing off the other macros in your tank (taking over)and overload your bio. It is always best to grow macro algea in a refugium for control,if the caulerpa does go sexual you cant get it out the tank. It is more of a weed than an algea.
  7. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

No not all plants are asexual... Crypts have both male and female organs in their flowers but the male organ florishes and then dies back a couple of days before the female organ becomes feritle. So for the plant to produce a fruit, you need insects to bring pollen from another plants flower when the female organ is ripe. Just one example.
  8. Natives2WI

AHHH i just found some articles on this.. bad bad idea LOL... but is there another algae/saltwater plant that would work? I know aquatics unlimited has two tanks that is FULL of some sort of marine algae (that looks like caulerpa) and never seen a problem in their tanks... hmm...
  9. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

cheto is a better choice. Yes aquatics unlimited sell caulerpa , but they also sell other macros that would be a better choice and just as effective.Just because they have it in their tank doesnt make it a good idea.