April 2018 Meeting - Conservation of the Mexican Goodeid Livebearer

Discussion in 'Upcoming MAAH Events' started by kb9skw, Feb 19, 2018.

1. kb9skw

kb9skw Executive Board

Please join is in welcoming recent Wisconsin Academy Fellows Award winner and MAAH member Dr. John Lyon, Adjunct Curator of Fishes of the University of Wisconsin Zoological Museum, to the April meeting. Johh will be presenting on the Conservation of the Mexican Goodeid Livebearers: the Critical Role of the Aquarium Hobbyist.

After the presentation stick around for the auction.

He will talk about what the Goodeid fishes are, where they occur, the many threats to their survival in the wild, their current dire status, and the conservation efforts that are being made, with emphasis on how aquarium hobbyists can contribute through captive maintenance of rare species.

John has been a fish nerd most of his life, observing, catching, and keeping fish for well over 50 years. Until he retired in 2017, John was also a fisheries research scientist and supervisor for the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, where he worked for over 32 years. He originally from New York State, and came to Madison, Wisconsin, for graduate school in 1979, loved the area, and never left. He received a B.S. degree in biology from Union College in Schenectady, NY, and a M.S. and Ph.D. in Zoology from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, all with an emphasis on the study of fish. Although interested in all fishes throughout the world, John's specialties are the fishes of Wisconsin and the upper Midwest and the freshwater fishes of Mexico. He made 39 (and counting) scientific trips to Mexico and other parts of Latin America, working on a wide variety of species in many different habitats and locations. Currently, much of his focus has been on the conservation of Goodeid livebearers and other fishes in central Mexico. He currently maintain four species of rare Goodeids at home and at the Zoological Museum.

The April meeting will be on the 21st in the basement of the Hody Bar and Grill, 1914 Aurora Street in Middleton. Doors open at 12:30.
    Chuck likes this.
  2. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

3. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to coming. I can't get to as many meetings as I use to, so I get pumped when I get a chance. I hope to get a chance to visit more this time around.
  4. Mike F

Mike F Advisory Board

The April auction is up on mygroupauctions.com, please list items you intend to bring as early as possible so people can have tank space prepared. Don't forget to add a photo of the item if possible, it does help!
  5. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

Looks like anlivebearer month.
    Green wag swords
    Green swords
    Velvet swords
    Japan blue guppies
    Neon blue platys
    Blue platies
    Hi fin blue and orange platys
    Cardamine lyrata
    Crypt uesterina
    Amazon sword
    Ben A and Sean S like this.
  6. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

The beginning of my list is posted on My group auctions. Trying to get pictures of the actual fish that will be in the auction so folks can get a better idea. Hope others will post theirs soon. Also if anybody is looking for anything ( particularly plants). I will add to or trade out items as needed. I'm pretty full of plants right now but don't want to bring in more of the same. I'm looking for Italian Val and Corkscrew Val right now.
  7. waterboy

waterboy Active Member

If you are going to the Milwaukee swap on the 15th, I will have some Italian Valisneria, could save out some for you.
  8. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

I am going to try to bring a pair of Ameca splendens, Xenotoca eisensi, and Zoogoneticus tequilla- all Goodeids and all CARES species

Also will have Labidochromis caeruleus and albino Aulonocara jacobfreibergi for BAP

Maybe a few plants as well
  9. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

Thanks , but I'm lucky to get one weekend day off every couple of months for the club meeting
  10. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

15 items posted on My Group Auctions. more pictures coming
    Sean S likes this.
  11. Scott Wiersema

Scott Wiersema Executive Board

I attended a Wabi Kusa workshop today presented by Chicago Aquatic Plants Society (CAPS). They were nice enough to donate some plants for the auction. You might have the name in the listing.
    Mike F, Chuck and Sean S like this.
  12. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

Added wisteria gt hygro crypt uesterina
  13. mlaursen

mlaursen Well-Known Member

Just a heads up, I'm planning on BAPing axolotl's this weekend, so there will be a group of 5 coming across in case that interests anyone,
    fishlady likes this.
  14. Megan

Megan Advisory Board Staff Member

What colors?
  15. mlaursen

I'll bring a mix, I have albino,gold albino, and wild, some with GFP and some without.
    Physarum likes this.
  16. Physarum

Physarum Executive Board

BAP: (They're actually old enough this month)
    Geophagus steindachneri
    Cryptoheros panamensis
    Tropheus moorii Ikola
    Neolamprologus brichardi
    Haplochromis brownae

I ended up with a lousy four fry from my Rosy Reds, and then the male died. I'll try that again later.
    Ben A likes this.
  17. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

Agendas for the general and EB meetings

General Meeting Agenda
    April 21, 2018

• Welcome and Introductions
    • Executive Board Communications
      • Volunteers needed
      • Officers wanted
      • Cataclysm 2019
      • Programs
      • BAP
      • GARP
      • CARES
    • Grimey Award
    • Speaker- John Lyons- the Goodeid Guru
    • Intermission
    • Auction
    MAAH Executive Board Agenda
    April 21, 2018
    1. Call To Order/ Roll call
    2. Previous Meeting Minutes
    3. Officer Reports (if any):
      1. President’s report (Sean)
      2. Vice President’s report (Steve)
      3. Treasurer’s report (Mike)
    4. Committee Reports (try to keep reports to 2 minutes or less):
      1. Cataclysm 2019
        1. Deadlines and Actions
        2. Cataclysm Separation (Mike)
      2. Membership (Beth)
      3. BAP (Steve)
      4. GARP (Mike)
      5. CARES (Sean)
      6. Program (Randy)
        1. Speaker chaperone/ lodging/ etc.
      7. Auction (Beth)
      8. Website (Randy/ Megan)
      9. Promotion (Nicholas)
      10. Library (Chris)
      11. Bylaws review (Randy)
        1. Recommendations
    5. Old Business
      1. Official government/ legal documentation
        1. Any updates?
      2. WPT Garden Expo Aquascaping event.
        1. Tanks and leftovers
        2. 2019?
      3. Forum rights- Is this complete?
      4. July meeting- Is this officially dead?
      5. Storage Rental- Nicholas
    6. New Business
      1. Meeting venue
      2. Election Board- Presentation of candidates
      3. Honorariums
      4. Other new business
    7. Adjournment
  18. Scott Wiersema

Scott Wiersema Executive Board

I am Baping Cnesterodon decemmaculatus 10 spot livebearer
    Sean S likes this.
  19. mlaursen

Anyone able to bring microworms, I just hatched a bunch of crested newts and my brine aren’t hatching