Basement fish, Inc.

Discussion in 'Member's Blogs' started by Mike F, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Mike F

Mike F Advisory Board

Hi, I'm Mike, my wife and I moved here from Michigan 4 years ago, and then from west side apartment to east side house 3 years ago. We visited a friends condo and my wife liked their fish tank so of course I jumped at the chance to set up my old 20l. I went to a number of meetings in 2013 but then had my first kid and I stopped attending. I felt a little out of place just having a single planted tank with some shrimp but I enjoyed seeing the fish auction and nerding out. Haven't really talked to anyone, my bad. Any who I just had another kid in June and need to get out of the house more so I went to the last meeting and got an annual membership. Saw that my favorite Cory variety would be on auction and happily took them home. They are all alive and happily schooling around my 20l. The shrimp I originally had in the tank circa 2013, well, sometime I will tell the tale of the burgeoning shrimp utopia genocide.
    power, Aquaticus and Cinnamonsticks like this.
  2. Mike F

Mike F Advisory Board

My friend who originally inspired me to get back into the hobby is going to move in a year and has an incoming child so he offered me his 37g planted tank with co2 setup, I happily accepted and hope to put it to good use. It has two big sae and some cannibalistic guppies. Now I have two tanks!
    Aquaticus likes this.
  3. imprezars

imprezars Active Member

Welcome to the club!! There are a lot of people that only have one tank I'm not one of them but there are others!
    bahamafj11 and Mike F like this.
  4. Mike F

Mike F Advisory Board

Well its not quite true that I have two tanks, you see, I knew I would need more tanks if I were to get into this again, and I seriously rue my missed chance at those 20l in the last auction(I didn't bring enough cash). So with the support of my wife we went to petsmart yesterday and bought two 10g for 10.49 each and a 20l for 23.49. I will not let another chance at 20ls with tops for ten bucks a piece slip by! This will be the start of my fishroom.
  5. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

If you need something a little larger I have a few extra 55's that I would let go for a very good price.
  6. Mike F

Mike F Advisory Board

I might be pushing my luck with the missus to get more so soon but can't hurt to hear your price
  7. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

I have two ready to go. Tank only $35 each or both for $60.
  8. Mike F

Mike F Advisory Board

heck yea! i'll take both
  9. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

I think I see MTS ( Multiple Tank Syndrome) is taking another victim.
  10. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

I reject your phrasing Chuck. "MTS, has freed another burgeoning fishkeeper." is the way I would phrase that.
  11. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

I bow to your wisdom and experience. Who am I to judge? Every time my wife leaves the house , another tank comes in. Up to 21 now.
  12. Megan

Megan Advisory Board Staff Member

Oh, no! I'm the one who put the 20l in the auction and I still have 2 20L here for sale. I've gone down to $10 with lids.
  13. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

Still have stands for those?
  14. Megan

Nope. Stands have all been sold.
  15. Megan

And Chris just claimed the last 2 tanks. :)
  16. Mike F

Mike F Advisory Board

Dang, too slow. But at this point I've probably got a full plate for a few months anyhow =)
    Megan likes this.
  17. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

18. Megan

Oh, and welcome to the club!
  19. Mike F

Mike F Advisory Board

Sweeping and taking stock of the fish corner. I will require more outlets. Will be enough space for 2-3 48"+ tanks on bottom, some 20l's in the middle and however many 10's and food cultures on top for 3 tiers. I'll need a better moisture plan than just the dehumidifier probably. Tight fitting lids, a constantly running box fan, maybe a new window-well window to crack open...there's probably not a fresh air heat exchanger in my future. I should draw out a layout on sketch-up.
  20. Mike F

Mike F Advisory Board

A little bummed, lost one cory yesterday and another tonight. I'm out of reagents to test the water but i'd reckon parameters are fine, it's a heavily planted established tank. If it were a nitrogen cycle issue a month after their introduction, the tank would be well past ammonia and nitrite spikes which would only leave nitrates. The plants would be soaking up quite a bit of that and I do a 25% water change per week with aged tap water. My only two guesses are too high of TDS or a food issue. Since they were the two smallest of the 6, my best guess is they werent getting enough to eat. I should have been using live and gel foods probably, maybe blackworms? They seem to nibble on the shrimp pellets I've given them. Maybe I need RO water for cories? I'm not sure. I feel like a bad fish-parent today.

On the bright side one of my guppies put out 12 fry today and are successfully separated to prevent cannibalism shenanigans. I got 8 10g tanks from cha, also got 2 plant packs at the meeting and 2 55g tanks from chris. I cleaned up the tanks with some distilled vinegar and they look pretty good. I need to sketch out the dimensions of my tank rack. I see many people prefer the 40g breeders in the end, so I intend to make the rack wide enough to accomodate my current tanks and eventually 40g breeders. Petsmart had them for 40 bucks each last week, but my wife put the brakes on that. I didn't have enough 2x4's in my woodshop to build the shelf so I went to menards and stocked up. I should have grabbed some acrylic sheets for tank lids. I guess glass is more scratch resistant but it'll be a bit more of a pain to obtain and acrylic is shatter proof.