Beginner Killis

Discussion in 'Killifish' started by Garrison, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Garrison

Garrison New Member

Hi there, it's been few years since I moved to Madison and I'm currently in the process of setting up my first fish aquarium since moving here. I'm looking to set up a heavily planted 20g long community tank. I used to breed Cichlids back when I lived in Iowa, and I almost decided to start it again with a dwarf species in this tank, but I saw some F. spoorenbergi in pet shop Rochester and decided I would try some killies instead(note I did not buy them). Since I've started researching this fish, I have a few questions.

What are some good starter species that would be good in a planted 20g community tank? Tank mates would be some guppies, corys, a bushynose, and maybe some red cherry shrimp later. Note that I generally look to breed any species that I keep so I can support captive breeding in the hobby.

Does anyone have experience with keeping killies in straight dechlorinated Madison tap water? I know it's pretty hard and I use a softener for our tap.

The WAKO meetup looks like it could be a good place to start learning, but sadly I'll be out of town for this one.
  2. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

Fundulopanchax gardneri will do fine in Madison tap. There a lots of colorful collection points to work with.
  3. bahamafj11

bahamafj11 Well-Known Member

I will probably bring a group of P. playfairii to the Nov. meeting. These will be EZ!
  4. Rick

Rick Member

Whatever you get, remember that killies are Olympic class high jumpers. Any little crack, and they are dried up corpses. In community tanks, my experience has been that they are the wimps on the block. You may find them cowering in the top corner of the tank. If there are plants like najas or java moss near the surface, that will help. Your tank mates seem pretty compatible with killies, but you never know. I have a bunch of Aplocheilus lineatus in a 180 with a bunch of good sized rainbows and they do fine. If you have any questions, let me know. I am not on this site on a regular bases(my bad). Dave Y., Randy, or Ted could give you my phone number if you would rather call.

Rick
    bahamafj11 likes this.
  5. Garrison

Garrison New Member

Thanks for the reposes. I think I may go for a smaller flashy species to start with in this tank and the gardneri look like they might be a good start. I also think the smaller size would pose less of a risk for the shrimp as well. My tank should be cycled by the next meeting and have a pretty tight lid once I decide on a spot for the HOB filter.

Quick question. If killies are ideally sold by collection point/time and hybridization is discouraged, are there issues with inbreeding with the specific varieties?
  6. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

In breeding does not seem to be a problem but while I have breed a couple of killie species, I am only slightly aquinted with them. You are looking at the right time though with the WAKO killie carnival coming up.

DateEventLocationTimeOct, 31, 2015WAKO annual Show & Auction Oct. 31-Nov1DAYS INN (formerly named Ramada)6331 S. 13 St.,Milwaukee,WIweekendNov, 01, 2015WAKO Annual Show Oct 30-Nov 1Ramada Plaza, Milwaukee WIAll DayDec, 13, 2015WAKO Annual Holiday MeetingJim & Gis Gasior, Franklin, WI2pm
  7. Rick

Rick Member

Gardneri is a good "starter" killie. The nigerianus group are VERY easy to breed. The mamfensis group is a little more difficult. I have bred 3-4 generations without a problem. That's what's nice about attending the shows, you have a good chance of finding stock that isn't too closely related to introduce new blood. I found that it helps me to keep my strains "clean".
    Randy, Thanks for the W.A.K.O. plug

Rick
  8. Garrison

Garrison New Member

I'd love to attend but unfortunately this happens to be the weekend I am in Atlanta. Maybe next time.