Best priced Sea salt?

Discussion in 'General Marine Aquarium Keeping' started by chriseisenbraun9, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Where do you guys buy your sea salt? I haven't bought salt in a while and just did a big water change on my 75gal. Didn't do much shopping around because I decided to do it last night (Sunday) and the only local pet store that was open was Petco. Anyway I bought 2 bags of 50gal worth of instant ocean salt for $19 a piece They didnt have the 5 gal buckets besides the more expensive reef salt which was $80 and I dont need that.

Of course I was looking on ebay today and found a 200gal box of instant ocean for $45 + $6.99 shipping which seems like a good price. Anyone know where to get it cheaper than that?

Heres the ebay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Instant-Oce...955?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebdfc8a73
  2. Ashley

Ashley Well-Known Member

Dr fosters and smith is where I get my salt. They have free shipping over $49.
  3. That is a pretty good deal. $44.99 for the 200gal box of salt and instead of spending the rest on shipping I can spend that money on something else and get free shipping. Thanks
  4. Ashley

Ashley Well-Known Member

No problem :)

The other perk is since Dr Fosters and smith is in WI it only takes about a day to get it.
  5. Well I found a new best price. I don't know where your located but a guy that goes by Beefy in Milton runs a Reef business out of his house called Beefs Reef. And sells the 200gal box of Reef Crystals for $50. Its only $4 less than Dr.Fosters but its only a couple miles from my house and he has a crazy amount of coral and tanks to look at.
  6. Ashley

Ashley Well-Known Member

Great. I've heard of him but I live in fitchburg so it's more of a drive for me
  7. Axis

Axis Active Member

16g@8.99 for tetra seasalt.....walmart special at 4am while oogling fish stuff just because I can, fish and corals are doing great now for almost 4 months.
    Dave likes this.
  8. Ashley

Ashley Well-Known Member

I didn't know tetra made marine salt. I wonder how it mixes up.

I wouldn't try it but that's me. All I know is Instant Ocean is some of the cheapest salt out there and it used by some really big facilities including the Georgia Aquarium and Live Aquaria. It's good enough for them then it's good enough for me :)

Glad the tanks doing good. Let us know how that salt works out for you.
  9. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

Because Walmart is where you want to buy your aquarium supplies.
    Blue2Fyre likes this.
  10. Axis

Axis Active Member

did research into the salt first dave, it hit the uk long before here, and with good results. I just happen to have bin there at 4am and had nothing better to do then a water change. :D
  11. Id prefer just to buy the 200gal Instant ocean Reef crystals for $50. itd cost over double that to get that much from walmart anyway
    Dave and Blue2Fyre like this.
  12. Axis

Axis Active Member

when ur only doing a change on a 12g tank it works out just fine. otherwise no, instant ocean is gen the cheapest way to go.
    Aquaticus likes this.
  13. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Yeah, it would be a big investment for a 12 gallon tank if you bought the 200 box.
  14. True, but it would last forever lol
  15. Axis

Axis Active Member

i plan on buying a 200g box. but not till i replace the trim on my 60g and get it drilled, and aquire a tank for a sump, and have that drilled also....plus i gave my excess liverock away to someone who wanted to set up school tanks for kids. sounded like a great cause n i wanted to help. lol. so....when i bother setting up the 60g, the box will come....

on that note, ive back burnered the fish n coral lately to obsess over my new firearm. :D