Black eggs?

Discussion in 'Killifish' started by Elise, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Elise

Elise Active Member

All right...this might be a really "noob" question but...do some killi eggs look black in peat? I'm asking because that's the only thing I can find in the peat I removed from the tank. Google hasn't been much help - most everything out there is about hatching eggs, not what they look like when first laid...

Here's a photo. You can see two of the spheres in question in this photo - one just above my finger, and the other just up and to the right of it. I found maybe a dozen or so like that in the peat, and nothing that looked like a clear or amber egg. I did squeeze one and it seemed to pop like an egg, so it's definitely not a rock...

[​IMG]
  2. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

I have never experienced that, maybe Rick or Ted will chime in.
  3. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

Maybe the peat stained them. When did you prepare the peat? These eggs are from SA annual right? I haven't seen many eggs, but I have watched the video interview of Fran Vermeulen and I remember the eggs looking amber or white. You can find Frans on facebook. Ask him, he exclusively works with SA annuals. https://www.facebook.com/frans.at.aruba?fref=ts&ref=br_tf
    He is a very friendly man.

Video:
    In the video he shows how he collects eggs from peat.
  4. Elise

Elise Active Member

Interesting video! He seems to have that routine down! Yes, these are the SA annuals. I know they don't lay their eggs like that, because I found some in the yarn I pulled from the other tank and they looked more "normal". The peat was boiled the night before. Maybe I'm using the wrong peat? I think it's actually peat moss, which is less desirable.
  5. Rick

Rick Member

Elise,
    What species is it? If it is a Fundulopanchax, the eggs could start developing and that would make them dark. Make sure it isn't a piece of the peat. Sometimes a piece will be round, but it will also be opaque. Eggs are always somewhat translucent(if they are good).
    Rick
  6. Elise

Elise Active Member

Sorry - Austrolebias nigripinnis is the species. They were definitely not clear. I saved them anyway and labeled the bag with a note "black eggs". I'll give it another go after I fatten them up again.
  7. pminogue

pminogue New Member

In the peat you will find black spheres. you could easily confirm it by checking the peat before you put it in the tank. With some killifish the eggs are difficult to find. Sometimes you can only find a few eggs and when you wet them you get hundreds of fry.
    Peter
    Elise and Dave like this.
  8. Rick

Rick Member

Austrolebias would be clear or amber. Actually, ANY good egg would be clear or amber. I have been fooled by the round pieces of peat before. I have been working with a different medium for dirt spawners. Ground coconut doesn't have the "little foolers". The coconut also dries out quicker, so you can bag it sooner. It is smart to bag and put away anyway. In my last two bags of Fp. filamentosus, I SAW two eggs and I really looked through the peat. Right now I have 53 fry from those two bags. So don't give up on them. So when it is time to hatch them and nothing hatches, dry it, bag it, and put it away for another month, then try again.
    Elise and Dave like this.
  9. Elise

Elise Active Member

I figured I didn't have anything to lose by bagging it. I have enough peat to last basically forever at this point...
    Aquaticus likes this.