BOX Swap?

Discussion in 'Upcoming MAAH Events' started by Marine590622, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

I was playing Fish tetris after Cataclysm and found that I have over 30 L271S.
    The bags of 5 that SteveS donated to the Cataclysm auction did well. $90 for one bag and $80 for the other.

I would be willing to put up a bag of seven for a box swap.

If we can get a list of 10 species or maybe a few more that are available for a box swap I could shop that around to other clubs to see what they have to trade back to us.

With aquatic experience coming up we would have a couple of options to get a box swap done without a ton of shipping costs.

If there is interest in this post what you could donate and we will go from there.

Species list
    Randy Peterson
    L271 7 1 year old fish in the bag.
    or
    CW023 5 fish at 1 inch in the bag.

Steve Suchon
    Danakilia sp. Shukoray, a dozen or so
    Neolamprologus sexfasciatus kipili, a good group of 8 fish.
    Xenotoca Eiseni, 8 fish

Sarah Blaser
    Pseudotropheus sp. Polit 6 fish at 1.5"
    Chalinochromis brichardi 6 fish at 1.5"
    "a ton of baby angels"

Pat Messer
    Pelvicachromis roloffi Just getting sexable. 3 probable pairs plus some extras.

Eric N
    Corydoras bilineatus, six at 1"
    Corydoras cf. semiaquilus, six at 1.5"
    Corydoras schultzei sp. Black, six at three-quarter inch

Sean Might be available
    L140s, ???
    purple occies
    rare haps too

Jeff W.
    Rhinogobius Henchuensis 1 inch fish
    Kigoma frontosa 1 inch Fish
    betta Rubras 1 inch Fish
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    SteveS likes this.
  2. SteveS

SteveS Advisory Board

Yes, L271 are a valuable fish. Easy to care for. I'm interested in a box swap. I could donate a couple species.

I can do Danakilia sp. Shukoray
    Neolamprologus sexfasciatus kipili
    Maybe something else also.
  3. Mike F

Mike F Advisory Board

I don't have any interesting species to offer but that sounds like a great idea!
  4. Physarum

Physarum Executive Board

I can donate Pseudotropheus sp. Polit and Chalinochromis brichardi. I also have a ton of baby angels I would gladly part with, but I doubt those are good box swap material.
  5. fishlady

fishlady Well-Known Member

I have some Pelvicachromis roloffi, and Hemiloricaria lanceolata I could donate
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  6. Eric N

Eric N Member

I have Corydoras bilineatus, Corydoras cf. semiaquilus, and Corydoras schultzei sp. Black that could be available.
  7. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

Depending on when I might have L140s, I'm almost sold out of ones with size but have another batch growing out, ready about the time of AE.
    Might have purple occies and a couple rare haps too, growing out so will depend on growth rate
  8. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

I could donate some Rhinogobius Henchuensis and some Kigoma frontosa and some betta Rubras. I am going to be at Aquatic Experience for the weekend
  9. Marine590622

The list is looking pretty good if you could give me an idea of the quantity and size that would help.
  10. Eric N

Eric N Member

Corydoras bilineatus, six at 1"
    Corydoras cf. semiaquilus, six at 1.5"
    Corydoras schultzei sp. Black, six at three-quarter inch
  11. SteveS

SteveS Advisory Board

Danakilia sp. Shukoray, a dozen or so
    Neolamprologus sexfasciatus kipili, a good group of 8 fish.
    Xenotoca Eiseni, 8 fish
  12. SteveS

SteveS Advisory Board

How will this work if we get another club to swap? Put our received fish exchange in our auction for member/donators only or have it like a raffle for club members/donors who are interested? I myself am ok with not receiving anything in return in a box trade as long as it goes to club members to get a chance to get some new fish into our area to work with. This will help our BAP program also with possibly getting in something different added to our list of club species. If you need help on this Randy, let me know and I'll try to help in whatever we need . I can also hold fish in my tanks after this happens with a trade until they get into members hands.
  13. SteveS

SteveS Advisory Board

A lot of participants in this already!!!!
  14. Marine590622

The details are still up in the air. I was thinking the fish would be donations to the club auction at the first meeting after the swap. I was thinking sometime next week I wouldstart a conversation with the donars about how to handle the details.
    SteveS likes this.
  15. SteveS

SteveS Advisory Board

Sounds good Randy. This can be a very good fun thing. Just a great idea this is.
  16. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

On my end they are all 1" fish or so.
  17. fishlady

fishlady Well-Known Member

I have about 60 juvies, so I can send as little or as much as you need. They are at the age and size where you can start to tell males from females.
  18. Marine590622

I have heard back from Mike Hellweg, this months speaker. He has forwarded an early version of the above list and my request to do a box swap to the club President.
    He indicated that they have done box swaps in the past.

Is it possible for everyone to have their fish on the 15th at the meeting? We could do the swap then instead of waiting for AE.

Now onto the dirty details.

In the past we have done these several different ways. And I have heard of other clubs who have handled this in yet more ways.

1st option. and what I had in mind.

Bags are donated to the club for the box swap. The bags that come back from the other club are put into the auction as donations.

2nd option same as the first but those donating fish to the auction are given a credit for each bag and they can use that credit in our auction. We have done it this way once in the past. It was more hassle then I thought it was worth, but it is an option.

3rd option would be to allow each member who donated fish the opportunity to draw a bag from what came back. (Lots would be drawn to determine the order of the draw.)

If you are participating let me know what your thoughts on this are.
  19. Physarum

Physarum Executive Board

It would be 6 Polits who are 1.5 - 2" and 6 Chalinochromis about 1.5".

Personally, I'm in favor of just putting the fish from their box in the auction as donations to the club. I think it would be the simplest way to get them out and achieve the goal of bring new fish here. We generally get super good deals on fish from our auction as it is, and I think the club does an awesome job using the money it raises to everyone's benefit. Thanks!
    Tom likes this.
  20. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

I'm fine with any of the options but here's another one, do two bags of all fish if possible, one of each could be used as a club donation, the others could be split up amongst the donors.

Not sure which of my fish will be ready by the October meeting.

I may still have a few L140s, the young batch might just be big enough. Purple occies likely will not be ready. I think I would have Haplochromis brownae ready and possible Haplochromis lividus. I could also throw in a young pair of Goodea gracilis.