Breeding goldfish?

Discussion in 'Goldfish and Koi' started by fishlady, Jul 2, 2013.

1. fishlady

fishlady Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of goldfish and a few koi in my pond and have had multiple people ask me if they have ever bred and they have not to my knowledge. I find this odd. So what conditions do goldfish need to breed?
  2. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

I think it might be an age thing. This is a long lived fish, and may need several years to fully mature. You might try searching on YouTube, here are a lot of interesting videos of koi breeding.
  3. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

Goldfish can spawn after a year or so. Koi may take 3 or 4, but not too long. They are egg scatterers that like ot lay their eggs in dense plants. The fish farms use synthetic egg traps that look like a large square pad of woven giant pipe cleaners. The bristles in the wires hold the eggs. The traps are placed in a shallow section of the pond and the fish swim over the traps to lay their eggs.
    Tim and Cinnamonsticks like this.
  4. fishlady

Ok that would explain things. They are plenty old enough and are probably spawning but since the pond is bare bottom except for the pots for the pond lilies their eggs are probably being sucked up by the pumps.
  5. duane stuermer

duane stuermer Active Member

I watched the goldfish in my pond breed last year, but never saw fry, the koi would follow the spawning goldfish and I assumed it was immediately eating the eggs. There were also red ceibal cichlids that probably ate any actual fry that made it
    This year I've already seen 1 and 2 inch fry, but there are no ceibals this summer, and I put water hyacinths in the pond much earlier this year that may have held and hid some eggs and fry.
  6. fishlady

This year I have some 2-3" goldfish swimming in my pond so they must have spawned this year. Only change was some iris's that floated to the surface so they must have spawned in the iris roots