Call for CBP lists

Discussion in 'CBP questions and answers' started by tjudy, Aug 19, 2012.

1. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

I will be posting the CBP program description and submission sheets (with instructions) soon. After talking to Randy, I agree that we should build the Priority Species list ahead of people submitting their distribution data (I will explain that in another post). So, if you are planning to participate in the Conservation Breeder Program, please post in this thread with the species that you CURRENTLY HAVE that quality for the CBP. I will start to create the spread sheets.

One spread sheet will track each member participating, the species they keep and the points they are accumulating. The other spread sheet will list species in the club and the members keeping them. These will both be resources for people looking to obtain CBP Priority species.

How do you know if you have a priority species? The first place to look is the CARES Preservation Program Priority List: http://www.carespreservation.com/priority_list.html

Still not sure? The other resource is the IUCN Redlist, but we will only be automatically accepting species that are listed as 'vulnerable' or worse on the redlist (which assesses all species, and many are classified as not threatened). Here is the link to the Redlist. It takes a bit to learn how to manipulate it, and the easiest way is to just search for the scientific name (or the genus to see all the fish in that genus listed): http://www.iucnredlist.org/search

A third way to search is to use www.fishbase.org . Each species profile states the IUCN redlist status of the species.

Not every species is listed in the Redlist, so if you cannot find what you are looking for there, and you think the fish you have may qualify as a Priority Species... start a thread about it in the CBP forum and let's figure it out together.

Here is the list of Priority Species that I am keeping that are on either the CARES or the IUCN Redlist:

Aphanius transgrediens
    Arnoldichthys spilopterus
    Betta channoides
    Characodon lateralis 'Los Berros'
    Devario auropupureus
    Devario pathirana
    Pelvicachromis sacrimontis

Skiffia bilineata

Skiffia multipunctata
    Xenotoca eiseni 'Rio Tamazula'
    Zoogeneticus tequila
  2. mlaursen

mlaursen Well-Known Member

Aphanius transgredens
    Pelvicachromis sacrimontis
    Skiffia biliniata
    Skiffia multipunctata
    X. eiseni "tamazula"
    X. variata
    C. lateralis 'los berros'
    Z. tequila
    M. parva
    and I believe a number of others but i'll have to check the list
  3. tjudy

We are going to have to seek some guidance on Skiffia bilineata... it is not listed on neither the CARES nor the IUCN Redlist. I have always operated on the assumption that all the desert goodeids were at risk... but maybe that is not the case.
  4. REVTODD

REVTODD Active Member Staff Member

Ill have to make my list Monday but, Neotoca (Skiffia) bilineata is on the cares page. (I found it friday night.)
  5. tjudy

so it is! thank you! Fishbase still lists Skiffia as the valid genus, so we will go with that.
  6. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

I have to go through all my fish to see what is on the list but I am sure i have a couple.
  7. mlaursen

mlaursen Well-Known Member

Ok, I had a chance to check the list, Here is what I needed to add
    Betta albimarginata
    Aulonocara sp. 'lwanda'
    Cyrtocara moorii
    Enigmatochromis lucanusi
    goodea gracilis
    Melanotaenia boesmani
  8. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

Paretroplus kieneri
  9. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

Not having much luck with the
    C.A.R.E.S. list
    IUCN Red List
    Fish Base

There is either no data available or they are not on the list. I will keep looking. I just got these Skiffia bilineata at the meeting but can not find any thing. Also got H. sp. 35 Tomato but can't find them listed.
  10. jeri

jeri Member

Xenotoca eiseni 'Rio Tamazula'
    Zoogeneticus tequila
    Kyoga Flamebacks
  11. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

Haplochromis (Xystichromis) phytophagus (Cares species)
    Xystichromis sp. 'Kyoga flameback' (Cares species)
    Tilapia synderae
    Chilatherina fasciata "Faowi Village" "not listed but the case can be made as they are not exported from Papa New Guinea, you have to go get them.
    Skiffia biliniata
    Skiffia multipunctata
    Pseudotropheus demasoni
    Ilyadon furcidens
    (These are what I have seen breeding behavior on)
    I have others that may pop for me yet.
  12. tjudy

The Skiffia bilineata are listing onthe CARES list as Neotoca bilineata. I have included them on the MAAH Priority list as Skiffia, which is the valid name according to Fishbase. Lake Victoria basin fish can be tricky to find due to the chaos surrounding their names. You might start by just doing a Google search to see if there is another name more generally accepted. Try Astatotilapia.
  13. tjudy

Yeah.... I am rethinking this criteria a bit. There are a LOT of fish that this would catch, and inclusion should also be based upon rarity in the hobby. C. fasciatus is not endangered in the wild, nor is it rare in the hobby. It is also commercially bred. There are no legal barriers to collecting them, although logistically going to Papua is one of the more difficult places to get to. Maybe we should make a list of criteria that a species needs to meet 2 out 3, or 3 out of 4 for in order to be included.

Another example is Endler's livebearers (Poecilia wingei). The conservation issue with this species is more associated with purposeful or accidental hybridization. There are no commercial exports from Venezuela, but it is not a legal or logistical issue (compared to many more remote places) to collect in. There are also many many of them in the hobby, and some strains are commercially produced now.

By comparison.... Neoheterandria elegans (the 'Tiger Teddy') is a small livebearer found in a very small area of Columbia where it is most definitely not safe to go collecting (thanks to the drug cartels). It is not an 'easy' live bearer to breed long term and rare in the hobby. On more than one occasion they were though to be 'lost', only to pop up in someone's fish room. It is not evaluated by IUCN, nor is it on the CARES list.
  14. tjudy

Go ahead and list everything you have, even if it is not spawning. We are making a record of what we have in the club.
  15. bahamafj11

bahamafj11 Well-Known Member

Xystichromis sp. 'Kyoga flameback' (Cares species)
  16. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

I have this for now. But will be looking for more.

Skiffia biliniata
  17. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

Stomatepia Mariae I know I have males and females but have not seen any spawning activity. Down to 4 fish.
  18. dxiong5

dxiong5 Member

I have:

Betta albimarginata
    Sawbwa resplendens (submitted in the last cycle of CBP)
    Danio erythromicron
    Ladigesia roloffi
    and a Tanichthys species (not sure which exact one, but I'm leaning towards albonubes)
  19. tjudy

What did you buy the Tanichthys as (common name)?
  20. tjudy

Wow... so far we are up to 32 species in the club.