Can Anyone help ID the species?

Discussion in 'Rainbows' started by chriseisenbraun9, Mar 9, 2012.

1. I have 3 rainbowfish that came with a fishtank a while ago. Im not sure what they are, they all look the same, anyone know what these are?

Attached Files:

2. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

Australis
  3. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

There are a number of locals of the australis from your pictures I can not even say for sure it is a M australis, but it looks like it could be.
  4. Roseline17

Roseline17 Active Member

I do not think they are Melanotaenia australis. They look like Melanotaenia splendida splendida Deep Water Creek. I breed this species thus I am fairly certain about it. Can you tell us whom you got them from thus we can trace back the original source?
  5. mlaursen

mlaursen Well-Known Member

The top two pictures definitely look like M. splendida "deepwater creek" teh last one i'm a little less certain about
  6. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

Couldn't disagree more. The only other one it might possibly be is Crimson-spotted (melanotenia fluviatilis).

Dusty
  7. mlaursen

8. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

Pics difinetly confirm it. M. Australis,Thank you Micheal.

Dusty
  9. mlaursen

It's ok dusty, you can call it australis if you want to
  10. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

Thank you!

Dusty
  11. Roseline17

Roseline17 Active Member

The first two pictures show male M. splendida splendida Deep Water Creek and the third a female fish of the same species. Can you tell us where these fish came from originally?
  12. I actually got them from a guy in janesville, not sure what his name is, i dont think he was part of the fish club and he didnt say they were anything but rainbowfish. They were in a tank with over 40 cichlids in it
  13. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

What are the odds that this fish, M. splendida "deepwater creek", would be acquired by an average fish keeper? Assigning a collection point to fish like this is going a bit far IMHO.
  14. aquaticclarity

aquaticclarity Well-Known Member Staff Member

I would agree. Unless there is some obvious trait that distinguishes the fish from all other rainbows (even the same species from different locations) don't add a locational tag. If a fish comes with a locational tag be sure to keep it with the fish (and double check the fish to other known fish) but NEVER EVER add locational information that you are assuming by comparision.

Regaurdless of what the fish are they are nice looking rainbows so be sure to enjoy them!
  15. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

They are Australis.

Thanks, Dusty
  16. mlaursen

I agree on not saying they are an exact locality, but they definitely are a splendida of some sort and not australis. That being said j&s in Beloit has bought a couple dozen young deep waters from me so they are in the area. To say a fish is a species it looks nothing like is a bit more of a stretch than to erroneously assign a location that it does in fact look like. Of course being they are store bought hybrid is an option but they still do not look remotely close to any australis I have seen
  17. Dave

Assigning a locality when no history of the fish is known is just as bad as assigning the wrong species. Are you willing to take these fish and add them to your breeding group of "skull creek"?
  18. mlaursen

No, and that is why I said I agree saying it is something for certain (ie locality) is not correct. That being said the fish looks like the deepwater creek location of m. Splendida (which is what was being asked). I would never advocate selling a fish as something one is not sure of. But simply because one can not positively I'd it does not mean a clearly wrong I'd is just as valid.
  19. Dave

Equally invalid. That is my point.