Canister filter ?

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Aquarium Keeping' started by fishlady, Dec 11, 2017.

1. fishlady

fishlady Well-Known Member

I will have a drilled tank on the top rack and a non drilled tank on the bottom. Can I have the canister filter take from the bottom tank and the outflow to the top tank or do the intake and output lines have to be the same length?
  2. fishlady

fishlady Well-Known Member

can someone answer me please
  3. Dragon159

Dragon159 Advisory Board

I have a couple canisters that have different length hoses due to my liking to pull from one end and return to the other. I haven't seen any problems so far, so your plan should work in my mind.
  4. Narwhal72

Narwhal72 Well-Known Member

It will work but you will lose considerable water flow.

Canister filter motors do not have a tremendous amount of torque. The motors are not much bigger than a hang on power filter. Generally this is fine because they really aren't fighting head pressure. The amount of head they are having to push against is the difference between the top edge of the aquarium and the actual water level (just a couple of inches really). All the canister filter is really pushing against is frictional resistance in the lines and filter media.

In your situation, you still have the frictional resistance. But now you are increasing the amount of head pressure the pump has to push against. The head pressure is now the difference between the water level in the lower aquarium and the top of the upper aquarium. This will cause the canister to lose a lot of water flow as it pushes against it. If you have a small canister and the head pressure is too great you may lose flow completely. But if you have a larger canister with a bigger motor the amount of loss will be reduced.

Andy