CARES Pedigree - PLEASE READ!

Discussion in 'CBP questions and answers' started by Witamygreatdanes, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Witamygreatdanes

Witamygreatdanes Active Member

I have to try to track down the "pedigree" of the two CARES fish I currently have. I understand that the Christmas Fulus came from Phil originally, but I have to figure out where they came from before him. I also have my python islands, 2 females and 1 male, that came to me from Chris larson who is on this forum, but I need to figure out where they came from before him. I'm trying to get the registered with CARES so I can properly breed them and help continue with their progress.

Can anyone help me out with this? I know how to contact Phil, of course, but I no longer have Chris Larson's phone number and I'm hoping that he bought the fish from someone in the club. Chris lives in Madison in the trailer park behind South Towne, if that helps identify him at all.

I've very serious about breeding CARES species and really want to do this the right way, so any help would be appreciated. My plan is to join the club as well, however, I have been having trouble getting to the Saturday meetings... is there a way to pay the dues and become a member w/o getting to a meeting first? I have met several members so far, but thru acquiring fish, tanks, and the pet stores.

Thanks in advance for any assistance with these matters!!!
  2. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

Pat, aka the Fishlady on this forum is the one who originally brought both of these species into our club. We may not be able to track everyone who had them between Pat and you but as far as I can tell from looking through BAP records these species in our club are traceable back to Pat. I understand the issues with pedigree/provenance. But really how far back do we want to track?

As far as becoming a member without coming to a meeting. I suppose you could stop off and see Ted and give him $25.00 towards an annual membership, there is no requirement if you are not attending meetings, but I certainly appreciate the desire to contribute. Give me a shout some evening soon.
  3. Witamygreatdanes

I pretty much have tracked the people between, I think. I am hopeful that Chris got the Python's from her. Supposedly, CARES would like to know where they came from hopefully back to wild caught fish... but I guess that is a debatable issue... Where Pat got them from would be the next step in the line from what I gather. I don't have your phone number anymore, Randy, but would love to call so I can talk to you more about this stuff as it is all new to me, but I am very serious about it.. and excited to be able to breed for a purpose. :)
  4. fishlady

fishlady Well-Known Member

Pundamilia nyererei "Python Island" Were bapped by Dusty and Tara before me if I remember correctly that where I got the fry from.
    Xystichromis phytophagus christmas fulu I got from Sid on GCCA.

Hope that helps. It's ironic that I don't have either anymore.
  5. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

MAAH is a CARES affiliate. Instead of submitting data to CARES, you can register the fish the our program. I will be sending a report to CARES once per quarter to update them with changes. This does not mean that you do not have to know the provenance of the fish you are keeping. Victorians are going to be a pain... because if we are not 100% sure the fish are pure, then we cannot accept them. There a few species in the club that are already vetted. I suggest sticking to them, or have the provenance approved before going out and obtaining fish.

Getting new fish is a lot of fun, but patience and planning when searching for a fish to submit to the CBP program (or CARES) pays off in the long run.
  6. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

Sid's a really nice guy and a friend of mine we talk often. I can ask him where his came from I believe he still keeps the fulus.
  7. Witamygreatdanes

Thanks, you guys! I know these fish originally came thru MAAH, just a few hands in between. :)
  8. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

They may have come through MAAH, but that does not mean that they have been vetted. Any of the fish listed on the CBP list should be ok, unless the keepers have been supplementing their colonies from other sources and not checking provenance first. I do not think that is happening, because we have talked a lot about not doing that unless the lines are verified.