Caridina shrimp water ?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by Scott Wiersema, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Scott Wiersema

Scott Wiersema Executive Board

I am thinking about getting some Caridina at the swap tomorrow. Do you put them in pure RO water? or a mixture? I am setting up a tank today.
  2. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

I use RO reconsituted up to about about 100 mS (50ppm) with a product like Equilibrium, which will not add KH to the water.
  3. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

Scott your tank will need to be cycled and it won't be over night.
    Vshrimp likes this.
  4. Vshrimp

Vshrimp Member

What kind of caridina? Tigers? Bees? Sulawesi? Depending on which type of shrimp will decide on what water parameters you'll need them to be in to thrive.
  5. Scott Wiersema

Scott Wiersema Executive Board

I was thinking either tigers or crystals. I need more experience before Sulawes. I understand they need harder and warmer conitions.

I was planning to setup a 5 or ten gallon tank with a seasoned sponges filter and a bunch of Hornwort from another tank with RO water. I was thinking of five or ten shrimps in ten not a nano.
  6. Vshrimp

Vshrimp Member

Ok. Best to use RO water and remineralize to specific parameters. Also depending on which shrimp you pick especially crystals. You'll need an active substrate for consistent water parameter.
    JeffW likes this.