Cataclysm 2019 Volunteers

Discussion in 'Upcoming MAAH Events' started by Megan, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Megan

Megan Executive Board Staff Member

Hi everyone,

Cataclysm is coming up fasts - September 13-14-15. For those of you who don't know this is the event the pretty much funds our club activities. Mini-auctions and door fees often don't even cover the cost of the speaker and we have other administrative expenses like the room rental fee for the meetings, a storage unit, insurance, website hosting/url registration, special events that don't make money, QuickBooks accounting software, bank fees and more. If you value what you get from Madison Area Aquatic Hobbyists, I hope you will try to volunteer where you can.

In previous years volunteers were all asked to register for at least the basic package, which is $45 this year. This year we are not requiring that. If you don't register, we ask that you don't attend the speaker sessions, meals or hospitality suite and don't bid in the Dutch Auction. You can register here: https://catfish-cataclysm.com/

Setup will begin on Thursday. We won't be able to get into all of our rooms until evening, but we will be able to at least move stuff in earlier. I want to start moving stuff in at 8am. We will need people with strong backs and trucks/suvs/vans. We can begin setting up the rooms between 5-8pm. First priority will be the Dutch Auction room.

Friday we will need all hands on deck to get the bulk of the setup done. We will begin at 8:00am. That gives us 8 hours to do the bulk of the work. I know it is a week day, but if you could possibly take off work to help, it would be so greatly appreciated.

Starting Friday night we have speakers in the evening. We will need 2 people to check for badges for the speaker room, two people to supervise the Dutch Auction room, and two people to supervise the vendor room. We will need the same volunteer slots filled for Saturday.

We also need volunteers for the registration desk. Roles needed to fill include cash register duty (2), handing out registration materials & t-shirts (1-2) , helping walk-in people register on the day of the event (2) (there will be paper slips) and other duties as assigned. ;) This is sort of the command center of the whole convention. People will be coming to the registration desk for information and with problems. Mostly you can direct them to me for that kind of thing.

I will have a volunteer sign up sheet at the picnic in July and the meeting in August, but you can reply here and I will contact you for details. We are going to have assigned shifts this year so that you know when you need to be someplace and when you are free to (if registered) enjoy the convention.
  2. Sharon Page

Sharon Page Member

I can volunteer one full day, either W/Th/F. Kevin and I will also help out for a shift on Sa or Su.
  3. Megan

Thanks, Sharon! I think Friday would be the best day since we won't really be able to get into the whole facility until Thursday evening. Thank you (and Kevin) So much!
  4. fishlady

fishlady Executive Board

I can be there any of the days: I am NOT a morning person and I need to leave early enough in the evening so that I don't have to drive in the dark. Troy will probably help as well as his schedule permits
  5. Megan

Great! Thanks, Pat. I'm not a morning person either, so I totally get it.
  6. Dragon159

Dragon159 Advisory Board

I have planned to be there Thursday through Sunday whenever and where ever needed.
  7. Megan

Thanks, Keith!
  8. Megan

Hi guys,
    I have a sign up sheet for shifts. I'm posting it here, but a sign up sheet will be at the August meeting.
    Let me know if any shift looks good to you. Again, if you do not register you can not bid in the Dutch Auction, listen to the speakers or hang out in the hospitality suite after the speakers at the end of the night. So, if you aren't going to register, pick a job that doesn't involve the speaker room.

TH Setup (12-8pm)

FRI Setup (8am-4pm)

FRI Security Dutch Auction (4-7pm)

FRI Security Dutch Auction (4-7pm)

FRI Security Speaker Room (6:30-8pm)

FRI Security Speaker Room (6:30 - 8pm)

FRI Security Speaker Room (8-9pm)

FRI Security Speaker Room (8-9pm)

FRI Security Speaker Room (9-10pm)

FRI Security Speaker Room (9-10pm)

FRI Security Vendor room (4-7pm)

FRI Security Vendor room (4-7pm)

FRI Registration Desk (4:00 -7pm)

SAT Registration Desk (8am - 11am)

SAT Registration Desk (11am - 1pm)

SAT Registration Desk (1pm - 4pm)

SAT Registration Desk (1pm - 4pm))

SAT Registration Desk (4am - 7pm)

SAT Security Dutch Auction (8-10am)

SAT Security Dutch Auction (8-10am)

SAT Security Dutch Auction (10am-12pm)

SAT Security Dutch Auction (10am-12pm)

SAT Security Dutch Auction (12-2pm)

SAT Security Dutch Auction (12-2pm)

SAT Security Dutch Auction (2-5pm)

SAT Security Dutch Auction (2-5pm)

SAT Security Speaker Room (8:30-10am)

SAT Security Speaker Room (8:30-10am)

SAT Security Speaker Room (10:30am-12pm)

SAT Security Speaker Room (10:30am-12pm)

SAT Security Speaker Room (1-2:30pm)

SAT Security Speaker Room (1-2:30pm)

SAT Security Speaker Room (3-4:30pm)

SAT Security Speaker Room (3-4:30pm)

SAT Security Vendor Room (8am - 10am)

SAT Security Vendor Room (8am - 10am)

SAT Security Vendor Room (10am - 12pm)

SAT Security Vendor Room (10am - 12pm)

SAT Security Vendor Room (12am - 2pm)

SAT Security Vendor Room (12am - 2pm)

SAT Security Vendor Room (2am - 4pm)

SAT Security Vendor Room (2am - 4pm)

SAT Security Vendor Room (4am - 6pm)

SAT Security Vendor Room (4am - 6pm)

SUN Security Vendor Room (9am - 11am)

SUN Security Vendor Room (9am - 11am)

SUN Security Vendor Room (11am - 1pm)

SUN Security Vendor Room (11am - 1pm)

SUN Register/Check-in Buyers (9am-11:50am)

SUN Register/Check-in Sellers (9am-11:30am)

SUN Enter White Slips (12pm-4pm)

SUN Fill-out Payment Slips (12pm-4pm)

SUN Auctioneer (12pm-4pm)

SUN Run MGA Slideshow (12pm-4pm)

SUN Organize Sold Bags (12pm-4pm) Dan Randall?

SUN Check-out @ Reg Desk (12pm-4pm) Megan M.

SUN Check-out @ Reg Desk (12pm-4pm) Sarah S.
  9. fishlady

fishlady Executive Board

I will plan on helping with set up Thurs and Friday. I can do a security shift on Saturday, I will look at the schedule of events and let you know which shift. Will probably not be able to help on Sunday.

Edit: I will do my best to persuade Troy to help those 3 days also.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  10. Megan

Wow. Thanks Pat!
  11. Sharon Page

Sharon Page Member

Megan, Here are the shifts we'd like:

Friday - Can work all day from 9:30 onward, anything you need - Sharon
    Sat - 10-12 Security Dutch Auction - Sharon + Kevin
    Sun - 9-11:50 Register Buyers + Sellers - Sharon + Kevin
  12. Physarum

Physarum Executive Board

John and I can help Thursday. Friday I can be at the registration desk from 4-7. Saturday I'd be interested in registration desk 8 am - 11 am and 4 pm to 7 pm. Sunday I plan on eating breakfast and then coming over to help out wherever with the auction until I go to the check out desk at noon. I think John will be around Saturday at night and Sunday.
  13. Megan

Whoo-whoo! You guys rock. I'll put you in the slots you listed. :)
  14. Megan

Thank you to everyone who has stepped up so far - Pat (Thurs?), Keith, Sharon & Kevin Page, Sarah & John Sajdak, Dan Randall, Ted Judy, Randy & Diana Peterson.

We still have a lot of slots to fill. I'll have a sign up sheet at the August meeting which is this Saturday, August 17.

Attached is the list of volunteer opportunities and who has signed up so far for what. Please keep in mind that, aside from the monthly mini-auctions which don't make a ton of money, this is our club's only source of revenue. Please consider signing up to help if you value the club!

Attached Files: