CATACLYSM 2019

Discussion in 'MAAH Announcements' started by Megan, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Megan

Megan Advisory Board Staff Member

The dates and venue have been set for our main fundraiser - Cataclysm. This is a convention focused on catfish in the aquarium hobby. It will be September 13, 14, 15, 2019 at the Crown Plaza on East Washington Ave.

Look ahead at your calendars. Please consider taking a few vacation days to help us set up the Wed, Thursday and Friday before that weekend. If you feel you can commit now, please let me know.

Some tasks will need to be done well in advance of the event. Some could wait until closer to the event, but can be done now, and I'm a big advocate of doing what you can asap because you never know what might come up that prevents you from doing these things later.

Security
    This person will secure and schedule volunteers to make sure that people entering the vendor, hospitality suite and speaker rooms have the appropriate name badges.​

Donations for the Silent Auction, Raffle and Goodie Bags (Steven Rhines)
    You will be giving a list of businesses/individuals to approach
    Silent auction organization
    Set min bids with the event chair
    Make up auction sheets
    Set up auction physically in the room​

Fish Auction organization
    Prior to the event
    Work with Fish Donations coordinator to get list of fish
    Enter auction in mygroupauctions.com
    Enter items into MGA with pictures​
    Day of event
    Make sure fish are properly bagged and labled
    Organize fish on table so that they are auctioned off after the appropriate talks. ie: Cories after the cory talk.
    Secure runners in advance of the event rather than waiting to the day of the event as we do at meetings.
    Make sure all bidders are entered into MGA and have bidder numbers.
    Keep track of money made from the auction​

Fish donations - Sarah Blaser

Vendors (Steven Rhines)
    This person will solicit vendors to rent space in our vendor room.
    This person will secure and schedule volunteers to help out vendors unloading materials prior to the event​

Food - Megan McGuire

Registration - Megan McGuire
    Website
    T-shirts
    Lanyards/name tags
    Meal Tickets​

Fish storage
    So far Dan, Sarah, Gar (Not sure of real name) and Megan have volunteered to store donated fish prior to the event. We need people who can commit tank space and good care to these fish prior to the event. This person will beat the bushes to find people to do so.​

Build tank stands
    If we do rental tanks or a Dutch Auction we will need 2-tier stands for 20 high aquariums​

Secure Auction + Rental Tanks

Raffle Organization - Dianna Peterson & we need one other person
    Make sure we have tickets.
    Keep track of money made by the raffle
    Secure volunteers to sell tickets ahead of time
    Speakers - Ted Judy
    Select and invite speakers
    Arrange for transportation of speakers to the event
    Reserve rooms at hotel for speakers
    Make sure speakers are included in the count for meals, name tags, etc.
    Create speaker schedule​

Goodie Bags - Dianna Peterson
    The week of the event, this person will assemble the goodie bags.​

Promotion
    This person will share updates the Cataclysm FB page and Madison Aquatic Hobby FB group, aquarium catfish FB pages and regional aquarium club FB pages (a list will be provided - there are about 30 groups). Additionally, they will post to forums such as Planet Catfish.

This person will also distribute flyers (made by Megan) at various regional aquarium club events - MAS, MAAH, GCCA swaps, etc​
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
    SteveS likes this.
  2. Jerry Wallendal

Jerry Wallendal New Member

3. Jerry Wallendal

Jerry Wallendal New Member

I would like to help. I'm pretty good with talking to people but where ever I can help.
    Mike F, SteveS and Megan like this.
  4. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

Diana and I are in.
    What do you mean by a dutch Auction? Why would a Dutch Auction require tanks?
  5. Megan

A Dutch Auction is one where you get a whole bunch of fish of the same kind, put them in a tank and let people put down bids, much like a silent auction. The highest bidder gets to by as many fish as he/she wants at their bid amount, then the next person gets to do the same, on down the line until all the fish are claimed. So, you'd have fewer species, but more fish. You'd need tanks to hold them.
  6. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

I can donate tank space in the weeks/months leading up to the event.
  7. Megan

Great, Randy! Thank you!
  8. Tigerlady

Tigerlady Active Member

I would like to help with putting the goodie bags together, can also help Steven with writing and sending letters to get the donations for this. I did send out the initial letters last time and have that saved and the list of people sent to also, if Steven needs that.

I would also like to help with the Raffle Organization work too. I will also get in touch with Steven to discuss coordination of this.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help in other areas.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  9. Gar

Gar Member

I usually have a few empty tanks I could set up to help house fish. Also I will take the weekend off to help with what needs done.
    Mike F likes this.
  10. Megan

Thank you, Gar! I was just thinking about this. Please Pm me with you contact info.
  11. Megan

Thank you to everyone who has volunteered! The committee is going to be comprised of the people who have volunteered for a specific task, so if you'd like to be on the committee, please let me know which currently unclaimed task you'd like to be responsible for. The list is up-to-date as of May 7. We will be meeting The week of May 14th. I need everyone's email because I am going to use Doodle Poll to see which day/time works best for the most people.