CBP Q&A

Discussion in 'CBP questions and answers' started by dxiong5, Nov 24, 2011.

1. dxiong5

dxiong5 Member

I'll start off the Q&A thread - (not sure if we want to have each question as a new thread, or a collective thread of questions).

-------

Are the species listed on the C.A.R.E.S. site all eligible for CBP (in MAAH and other clubs)? I'm interested in working with certain species and noticed some are classified differently, potentially at a lower risk. For example, classification "CP = Conservation Priority: Species suitable for Breeder Award Programs. (Dr. Paul V. Loiselle)." Suitable for BAP doesn't make it appear very threatened. Do these still qualify for CBP?

Also, a general question regarding C.A.R.E.S.: Are there efforts to reintroduce at risk/endangered/extinct in wild species back to their native waters?
  2. tjudy

tjudy Advisory Board Staff Member

The way our system works is that a person who wants to submit a species as a new CBP target makes the case for it to Dave Heck and me (as CBP committee). The C.A.R.E.S. list is a place to start, but it is by no means complete. Very incomplete, in fact, and does not include marine fish other than seahorses or any invertebrates at all. Our program also permits species that are not considered endangered in the wild, but are at risk in the hobby due to lack of imports (maybe it is illegal to export the fish from its native range). A good example of that would be Anomalochromis thomasi from Liberia/Sierra Leone. I do not know anyone who has them, though there are rumored to be farms in Asia and possibly Florida that still have them. All of the A. cf. thomasi in the hobby now are from Guinea, and are most likely a different species.

Paul Loiselle and the organizers at CARES operate in the same way. The base list is the IUCN Red List, but that list is intended to list ALL fish species evaluated. Some are evaluated as being at risk, but others are on the list as not being at risk. Paul has placed fish into the CARES list based upon his personal knowledge of what is happening on the ground (in the water?) in the natural habitats of the fish. Pelvicachromis sacrimontis is a good example. It has not been evaluated for IUCN Red List at all, but Paul knows that the oil industry in the Niger Delta (near Lagos, Nigeria) poses a major threat to the existence of the species, so he put it on the CARES list.
  3. fishlady

fishlady Well-Known Member

I noticed on the C.A.R.E.S. list some fish are highlighted. Does anyone know what that means?
  4. Megan

Megan Executive Board Staff Member

Could someone describe this program to me? I am thinking it has to do with rare and endangered fish based on the above, but don't know the details.
  5. Megan

Megan Executive Board Staff Member

Never mind, I found the web page. Thanks!