CBP updates and submissions

Discussion in 'CBP questions and answers' started by tjudy, Oct 24, 2012.

1. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

Please do not forget to keep track of the CBP fish that you distribute, and any new species that you may have obtained. I know that a few priority species came into the club with the box swap... please let me know if you got them (the vic cichlids, the Allotoca, Dave's Girardinichthys (got that one), etc...).

There were also a few priority species that went across the auction block as BAP and went out in the box swap. The only people to turn in distribution forms at the last meetings were myself and Randy. Please fill out the word document submission form for what you distributed last month so I can keep the spreadsheet updated.
  2. JohnM

JohnM Active Member

Question for you, can you double dip? Get both BAP points and CBP points?
  3. tjudy

Yes... You will receive CBP points for any distribution of priority species fish other than distributing them to a reseller. If the fish are being donated to a MAAH program (CBP, BAP, box swap, etc...), each fish earns 2 pts. All other distributions (giving or selling to a hobbyist, donating at another club's events, putting fish into an auction, etc...) earn 1 pt/fish.
  4. mlaursen

mlaursen Well-Known Member

is it too late to submit forms from past meetings, I haven't gotten a chance to turn mine in
  5. tjudy

Not too late..
  6. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

Another update on species, just got in Aulonocara aquilonium, IUCN Red List Vulnerable, but not on CARES Priority list.
  7. Witamygreatdanes

Witamygreatdanes Active Member

What does that mean "IUCN Red list vulnerable?"
  8. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

If you go to the CBP page. http://madisonaquatichobby.com/conservation/
    There is a link on that page to a description of our program.

Basically we maintain our own list of species we find worthy of promoting th conservation of. But we start by referencing the cares list and the IUCN red list.

"C.A.R.E.S$Preservation$Program$Priority$List
    http://www.carespreservation.com/priority_list.html
    All!species!listed!with!CARES!qualify!for!the!MAAH!CBP.
    IUCN$Redlist
    http://www.iucnredlist.org/
    All!species!categorized!by!the!IUCN!Redlist!as!vulnerable,!endangered,!critically!
    endangered!or!extinct!in!the!wild!qualify!for!MAAH!CBP."
  9. Witamygreatdanes

Ok, probably should have asked that question differently, but basically what I needed to know is that it is the
    International Union for Conservation of Nature! Thanks, Randy. I'll be reading that website for a while now. :)
  10. Dave

One thing to note, many species are listed on IUCN, but that does not mean they are vulnerable or endangered. You still have to check their status, and it must be vulnerable or a higher threat level to qualify for CBP. I am trying to focus my few tanks on species that need help in the hobby.
  11. Witamygreatdanes

Thanks, Dave. I mostly wanted to know what the letters stood for as when I was looking up the Christmas Fulu I noticed that they were listed on the list. But I did not know what the list was. :) It does happen that the Christmas Fulu are extinct in the wild. The other kind of fish I was asking about, I just think are pretty. :)
  12. Witamygreatdanes

I'm really excited about the CARES Preservation Program. I'm looking to get a few more fish that are on the CARES Priority List. One I've been looking for seems to be quite hard to find, but I may have a small group of Mbipia cf. lutea - crossbar, coming in a few weeks. They are CNT on the priority list. Once I get to a meeting and join the club will I be able to participate thru the club. I have already contacted CARES about participating as an individual, but I think it would be more fun thru the club.
  13. Dave

Two new updates,
    P. chromogynos from Steve, who got them from Dave's Rare Fish, who got them from Old World Exotics.
    P. demasoni, tank strain, but clean.