CB's fish room

Discussion in 'Member's Blogs' started by AssassinJimmie, Oct 18, 2014.

1. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

I've never written a blog before since I've never had anything worth writing about. Now I have a fish room so here it goes.
    Recently I have been thinking about how I need to be more organized and keep better records so I can be responsible as I get into breeding. So my first step was to keep labels on my tanks of the fish kept within. Next I took it a step further and mapped out my whole fish room. image.jpg
    I kinda thought this was a good way to show what I'm working on for anyone interested without having an open-house. It's not perfect but it's a start. My next project after talking with Todd is a dry erase board or something similar in my fish room to record and keep track of current breeding projects, spawn dates, numbers, and such.
    There is always room for improvement.

And for your viewing pleasure I present BABY CORYS! image.jpg
  2. TheyJustWantedGoldfish

TheyJustWantedGoldfish Active Member

Cool. My tracking mechanisms are always evolving too. It's part of the fun.
  3. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

I keep a spread sheet with all the species I have or have had. This way I can keep track of what I have spent, "earned", and traded. One sheet for all that information, another for a wish list, one for tracking what tanks have which fish so that I can make sure my tank labels are accurate.

Keeping a journal is a great way to start.
    Cinnamonsticks likes this.
  4. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

I have a dry erase board on the door of my fish room . I have the, name of fish, size tank, Water change done, filters cleaned and comments section for spawns so I can put in dates of spawns and how they progress. It has been getting to be less and less writing since I am cutting way down with only 7 tanks running. 135, 135, 125, 30. 30, 10, 10. still keeps me busy but not as many spawns since I am keeping larger fish now. I will be doing one more tank in the future but it will be over 200 gallons when I find the right deal.
  5. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

Spreadsheets are wonderful and amazing!!
  6. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

I just discovered these little Cory fry. I'm excited as always especially since it's a good size group at least a dozen. Only problem is I didn't collect the eggs intentionally. I set up a container for fry and then decided to put RCS in it instead to keep a closer on them for breeding. I moved a bunch of plants from other tanks into this shoebox so the eggs traveled along with them. Now the only problem is I don't remember which tank the plants came from so now I have to wait till they grow out a little to try and identify them. I'm hoping they are trilliniatus but they are probably paleatus. The last thing I need is more paleatus this would be my third spawn in a tub and an unknown number of fry in the tank with the adults. I need to get rid of that group so I can move on to another species. image.jpg image.jpg
    Cinnamonsticks and Dave like this.
  7. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

If you are up for loaning out the paleatus I am sure someone it the club would like to give them a try.
  8. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

paleatus r supr easy to spawn and raze teh fries.
  9. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

I have given away two of my Cory groups. Hopefully I don't have any unforeseen problems with the fry from those groups before December. I have some empty space if anyone wants to loan me some new cories to work with I could house at least three groups right now. I also got a good picture of my oldest Cory baby that I can officially call a well fed juvenile fish. image.jpg image.jpg
    Aquaticus, Cinnamonsticks and Dave like this.
  10. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

wow, that c. paleatus is chubby.

I am always accepting corys ;)
    Aquaticus likes this.
  11. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

Status report time. I'm fairly sure the unidentified cories are in fact trillineatus but still not 100% sure they are all the same I think there's one schultzei in there. I finally have more funlapanchax gardeneri gardeneri fry but I don't think there's enough to bap I've only seen 4 at one time but there's a lot of cover in that tank so it's hard to tell. Randy's sterbai are fat and happy and look like they are doing the buisness fairly often but I have yet to find any eggs so I'm not sure if they are just really good at hiding them or what. My pelvicromis also seem very happy but remain abstinent from what I can see. I have at least 30-40 black bar endler fry and should have red delta blue guppy fry within a week or so. I'm pretty sure my siriwo rainbows are spawning I have to check the mops tonight. I still can't catch the pesky rhinogobius that is disturbing my apisto pebas I need to build a new trap. I just got some least killi fish and a few habrosus cories but they super skidish. I'd really like to get a pair of angels to work with but some financial sucker punches a little while back have interrupted many of my fish room plans.
    Aquaticus likes this.
  12. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

I've got 8 little Cory sterbai fry swimming around finally. Yay. I've also spied some more funlapanchax gardeneri gardeneri fry but they are elusive so I don't know how many might be comming out of this batch. It takes over a month or so for my killie eggs to hatch. Just about everytime I've waited so long that I gave up on them and all of a sudden they pop outta no where.
  13. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

Melanotaenia "siriwo" round two. First batch of eggs didn't turn out but this batch looks much better I even saw some eyeballs. I'm gonna put one under the microscope later and see what I can see.
    Aquaticus likes this.
  14. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

Two free swimming fry. Not much but it is a start. I've read about how small they can be but didn't quite believe it till I saw it.
  15. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

Magnified rainbow fish eggs. These are fairly fresh eggs.
  16. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

17. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

Ahhhhhhhh!
    I finally caught the unidentified rhinogobius and got it out of my 75 so my apisto pebas can spawn in peace. I wasn't sure where to put the goby so I threw him in my 50 br where I am holding some assorted fish awaiting a mate to be paired with. I had noticed that he had dug a little burrow near a rock but didn't think much of it. Everything was great one day and then over night disaster struck. Massive ammonia spike and my gouramis where just melting away. After further investigation the goby had dug holes all over the tank and since that tank runs an undergravel filter it was basically was sitting without filtration.
    Goby was relocated gravel cleaned and leveled and 75% water change. One one fish dead but it was my massive beautiful male gourami. I guess I've got a grimmy to share at the next meeting.
  18. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

I spoke to soon. Water parameters back to normal but all the gouramies where irreparably damaged and all but one have passed and the last one is not looking good. Why do I have such a soft spot for troublesome fish.
  19. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

I'm up to 5 free swimming siriwo rainbows yay!
    Aquaticus and (deleted user) like this.
  20. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

Scavenger hunt! Find the baby cory trilineatus. image.jpg

I'll give you a hint. It's hiding in the roots of the Anubius.
    Aquaticus likes this.