Choices choices choices

Discussion in 'Ted's Fishroom' started by tjudy, Dec 31, 2012.

1. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

One of the fish on my 'bucket list' is available to me this week... Pethia bandula ($15), the 'dwarf ruby barb' from Sri Lanka. This is the bright red barb the Paul Loiselle showed us a picture of that is also on the CARES list. But to get them I have to fill a box. Here are the fish that are on my possibles (names in color are links):

Pethia (Puntius) erythromycter - the Burmese lipstick barb
    Eirmotus octozona - this is a tough one... a real challenge
    Betta coccina - one of the 'red wine' Betta sp. This is probably the easiest and least expensive of the group.
    Betta falx - one of the fish in the B. picta group. A relatively easy mouth brooder that was around a lot a few years ago, but I have not seen them in a while
    Betta foerschi ($50/pr)- another of my 'bucket list' fish, but lower priority.
    Danio nigrofasciatus ($2)- because I like dwarf danios
    Devario sondhii - Looks like a nice fish for planted tanks
    Danionella priapus ($2)- this is one of the smallest of all vertebrate animals. Almost glass-clear and about 1 cm long. There are a few species, and who knows if this one will be what it is advertised as being... but the price point is attractive. Other species in the genus are listed at prices that would retail for $3-$4/fish... If these arrive in good shape they would be less than $2.
    Microrasbora rubescens - this is one of the Lake Inle species. Very nice in planted nano tanks
    Rasbora lacrimula - the best pics I have seen of this fish depict a silverish fish with bright red fins
    Paedocypris progenetica ($8)- another of the very small, glass 'danio' fish like the genus Danionella... but this one has a blue eye
    Devario (Inlecyprus) auropurporeus ($6)- the Lake Inle Tiger danio. I have a few, but would like some more. People who come to my fish often point this species out to ask what it is. Very pretty fish.
    Indostomus crocodilus ($10)- very cool fish! I spawned them a few years ago. They lay eggs inside pvc pipe like a goby. They are related to sticklebacks. I might have to get these just to have a species to qualify for the 'other' category for Ultimate Breeder :rolleyes:
    Macrognathus zebrinus - a very pretty spiny eel. These would be 3-4" juveniles of a species that probably maxes out at about 10" in an aquarium. I am convinced that these smaller spiny eels should be spawnable in aquariums. M. zebrinus would be a good candidate to work with due to its small size.
    Hemigrammopetersius caudalis ($12)- yellow-tailed Congo tetra - These would be tank-raised fish. I pretty, smaller African tetra that is very breedable.
    Aspidoras sp "ARAGUAIA" - one of the cory-like catfish from South America, but these are tank raised fish.

I figure on 6-8 species to fill a box. Not a big order this week, as I still have a lot of fish hanging around... but I really want those P. bandula barbs.
  2. mlaursen

mlaursen Well-Known Member

I would want to pick up some P. bandula as well. Also D. nigrofaciatus. Depending on pricing I would be interested in the H. caudal is was well
  3. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

I would be interested in Betta Foerschi and Indostomus Crocodilus. It all comes down to pricing and how many i would need to buy.
  4. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

Indostomus crocodilus, depending on pricing has my eye too!
  5. tjudy

Pricing.... the best I can do is give a conservative estimate. The final price depends upon factors like shipping charges and losses. I will post the conservative price in the original post next to the species that you express interest in. My hope would be that the price would end up being less expensive. I will post the 'per fish' price, and you can assume that the cost would be less for groups.
  6. mlaursen

When are you expecting to get this shipment in? Right now I think i'm going to have to limit myself to just the barbs and danios.
  7. tjudy

Monday, but I may decide to wait a week.
  8. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

I am going to have to wait. I want them but money is tight until friday the 11th.
  9. icantquit

icantquit Member

Ted how much are the Paedocypris progenetica?
  10. tjudy

$8... but this is a high conservative price. The Danionella on the list (which is a very similar fish) would be $2. I have no idea how well these very small fish will ship to me and acclimate. When I have had them before, they shipped from me just fine.
  11. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

Why do you do this to us Ted?! Funds are a little tight right after the holidays. I need equipment before I can get more fish. I would love to try Indostomus crocodilus, but I don't think I can commit. The price is reasonable, IMHO.
    duxallinarow likes this.
  12. tjudy

I may wait a week, and then I will hold the fish in quarantine for a week after I get them. The only reason I am even contemplating the order is because I really want the Pethia bandula... a priority species that I would like to keep around for breeding.
  13. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

Let me know how many I would have to buy of the Indostomus crocodilus I am looking at 6 right now. I can do this if you are going to hold them that long. These would be all i want.

Thanks
    Jeff
  14. tjudy

OK... I sent the exporter a note asking if the P. bandula would be shipped this week or not. If not, I am not doing the order. Here is the order I sent him:

Bandula Barb Puntius bandula
    Burmese lipstick barb Puntius erythromicter
    Inle Lake Tiger Rasbora Inlecyprus auropurporeus
    Crocodile toothpick Indostomus crocidilus
    Burmese spotted danio Brachydanio nigrofasciatus
    Indian dwarf green barb Puntius phutino
    Indian turquois danio Devario devario

subs
    Indian roseline barb Puntius denisoni
    Vampire Neon Green Danionella Danionella priapus
    Golden peppered corydoras Aspidoras sp Araguia
  15. mlaursen

Sounds great! I was about to ask about the lipstick barbs when I logged on. If you get enough ill take six p. bandula and like 10 danios
  16. tjudy

Ohhh... I'll have enough. Most of the minimums are 100+ fish or more! :rolleyes:
  17. duxallinarow

duxallinarow Active Member

The links are a huge help, thank you.
  18. tjudy

The fish came in... so so order. Time will tell. The box was not packed very well and was crushed in transit. Plus there were some shortages. Here is a report:

Indostomus crocodilus .... bag was popped, but I was able to salvage about 20 animals. I will see how many I have left after a week.

Pethia (Puntius) bandula... advertised at an inch, but only about 3/4" in reality. Juvenile color. But they look good and are eating well.

Pethia (Puntius) erythromicter... the lipstick barb... Came in nice and with decent size. After a week of food I should be able to sex them.

Pethia (Puntius) phutino... dwarf green barb... close to adult size, decent shape and good color even after 1 day. Eating well.

Danio nigrofasciatus.... in great shape. Small, but it is a small species.

That is all that came in. They sent ONE (uno, single, all alone, unaccompanied) Devario auropurporeus. I am happy to report that it is in great shape. It's price will be $35.80 to account for it's share of the shipping, and I will sell it at my cost with no mark up. Please form an orderly line....
    Witamygreatdanes likes this.
  19. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

Ted if others want the Indostomus crocodilus they can have first chance on them. If no takers I will still take them if like you said they survive their journey.
  20. mlaursen

Good to hear the bucket list was filled :) I can't wait to see them.