CO2 system frustrations

Discussion in 'Planted Aquarium Tech' started by mlaursen, Feb 24, 2013.

1. mlaursen

mlaursen Well-Known Member

Hi guys, I've had huge issues with my CO2 system, I have a milwaukee regulator and solenoid set up, Initially i had it bubbling into the intake of my filter, I have since tried it inline on the return to my eheim. In both cases I have had issues with the system gassing the tank when the solenoid energizes in morning as it lets out a massive burst of gas. Milwaukee replaced the needle valve for me and said there needs to be no pressure at the other end of hte CO2 line, but if it's below the water line there is going to be head pressure, any thoughts, this is really starting to drive me nuts.
  2. tjudy

tjudy Advisory Board Staff Member

I cannot think of any situation in which there would be zero pressure at the end of the CO2 line, so I question Milwaukee's assessment that their needle valve requires zero pressure.
  3. Eric N

Eric N Member

Just curious as to why you have the CO2 hooked up to the intake of the eheim. I would think that the CO2 would inhibit the bacteria in the filter media?
  4. mlaursen

The eheim is more for mechanical than anything in this tank. the idea behind it is that the filter provides a place for the CO2 to dissolve into the water and it's one less thing in the aquarium. After seeing a number of setups like this I gave it a shot. Some have actual chambers on the line with bio-balls or other items to maximize the amount of CO2 that is dissolved into the water.
  5. mlaursen

This is my thoughts as well, at any point you will have pressure from the water column on the line. My thoughts on putting it actually in-line was that the water movement across the end of the tube would minimize this pressure, but it doesn't seem to be working. and by no pressure, I mean above atmospheric.
  6. Eric N

Eric N Member

Thanks for the info, I see that you are not using the filter to remove loading. Yes, the water in the return line moving past the tube should work like a aspirator and create vacuum. Unless the return line to the eheim is sized too large so that the pump cannot create the vacuum. If you were to reduce the intake right away, say by the strainer, this would allow the pump to create more vacuum.