co2 system

Discussion in 'Planted Aquarium Tech' started by eltrut420, Jan 1, 2016.

1. eltrut420

eltrut420 Member

A freind gave me a complete co2 system.tank regulator w/solenoid ph controller bubble counter and reactor. I dont like the idea of pumping water out of back into the tank (had a few canisters leak) plus all the other stuff in the tank. What are the ccobncerns if i just pump the co2 into the tank? Ive never (prob never will) test water so i havve no idea what ph does. What are the concerns of just pumping in co2. I have a good light on the 75 gallon tank. Its planted with dirt and doing well. I found someone who has seeds for a few erio sps that need co2. Any and all thoughts are appreciated. Also my regulator leaks so i ll have to replace it if i cant fix it if anyone has one to sell.
  2. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

I use an in-tank CO2 diffuser like this one, and it works very well: diffuser

It is not the prettiest thing in the tank, but it works. It is good that you have a solenoid, which you can use to control the time that the gas is flowing. I set mine to come on about 30 minutes before the lights come up, and go off two hours before the lights go off. The CO2 will increase in the water early, and when they lights come up they will be able to jump into using it right away. At the end of the day, the plants will use the gas before the lights go off. That way there is no worry of the pH dropping or having the CO2 suffocate the fish.
  3. eltrut420

eltrut420 Member

So i would put the co2 on a timer along with my lights and set the times accordingly and should be ok? That sounds simple enough even i might be able to pull it off. Am i correct in assuming the whole system i had was just for better or more efficient co2 distribution? So the solenoid will shut off the flow even though the valve is open ? I would have to fiddle with it to get the flow to where i want it and once its set the solenoid kicks on with the timer. I think i got it. Maybe
    tjudy and Aquaticus like this.
  4. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

That is correct. Solenoid and lights on same timer.
  5. eltrut420

eltrut420 Member

Got it. Just got my diffuser in the mail. So ive always just turned the lights on wen i get home and of b4 bed. Is there guidlines on how long to leave ur lights on? I have a finnex planted light with a hob for circulation. Lots of java fern, anubias, 2 lotus, 1 apontogen and some swords. Looking to try germinating some erio seeds. Any suggestions for light duration?
  6. eltrut420

eltrut420 Member

Did some research and found 6-10 hours a day. But i cant find out a way to figure out the amount of co2 i should be putting in. I got the diffuser u recommended ted but i cant see any bubbled in the counter itself. I filled it to the top and have been tinkering with it and cant figure it out.
  7. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

You cannot see bubbles in the counter? Can you take a picture of the counter for me?
  8. eltrut420

eltrut420 Member

Take the pic yes. Figure out how to show u pic highly improbable butnill try
  9. eltrut420

eltrut420 Member

I cant do it. There are little bubbles clinging to the inside of the difuser.i cant figure out why i cant see bubbles coming out of the yellow tube. I have plenty of co2 going into thebtank.
  10. eltrut420

eltrut420 Member

I came home today and the condensation in the counter was gone and im able to see the bubbles clearly. Ive looked around and ive seen a ton of different opinions on how much co2 should be going in. Ive toyed with the pressure gauge but i cant get that dialed in so i want to use the bubble counter until i get this figured out. What should i be looking for as far as bubbles go?