Collecting fry

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by Megan, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Megan

Megan Executive Board Staff Member

How do you collect live bearer fry so that the mother doesn't eat them? I had a box like contraption I used as a kid, but the mom would eat anyone who swam back in with her. Is there some way to suspend her above a 10 gallon tank?
  2. Megan

Look what I found!

3. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

With a smaller screen in the bottom, this works well for egg scatters like tetras.
  4. Chuck

Chuck Advisory Board

If you go onto the Chicago Livebearer Assoc. website , they show how to make a positive water flow V trap out of a 10 gallon tank. I made one and have had great success with it. Most livebearers are born and sink to the bottom because their air bladders are not developed yet. This v trap washes them out of the adult area. I made mine for about five bucks for the glass. I had everything else laying around
  5. Scott Wiersema

Scott Wiersema Executive Board

Many species do not eat their fry. Some you need to have hiding spot like plant plastic or real? Which species are you concerned about?
  6. Megan

Black Mollies.

I will look at the CLA website, Chuck.
  7. Scott Wiersema

Scott Wiersema Executive Board

Black Mollies usually do not eat their fry but it is a good to have cover for them. The other question to have any other hungry tank mates? Angel will eat any livebearer fry. Many of the Goodeids will eat fry. Most of the time I can raise the fry in the same tank. I have a number of species right now.
  8. Chuck

Chuck Advisory Board

If you have bottom feeders like cories, they will pick them off.