Corry Groups

Discussion in 'Foster home' started by Marine590622, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

I have two groups of Corry's I would be willing to lend out if someone wanted to try their hand as spawning them.
    C sterbai
    C paleatus
  2. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

Those are nice groups for BAP, I would like to try my hand with the C. sterbai.
  3. Marine590622

I can bag them up and bring them over when I bring the Ps polits. I spawned them mutiple times, they lay their eggs directly on the glass. 10 gallon tank, sand bottom, 80 degrees, feed blood worms,
    do a 50% water change with softer water a few degrees cooler and watch the fun begin.
  4. Dave

Thanks for the tips!
  5. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

I'm interested in the duplicareus or the Sterbai after Dave breeds them. I'm convinced I have all males in my Sterbai group.
  6. Natives2WI

Natives2WI Well-Known Member

i am picking up 15 young sterbai this weekend.. Hope they will eventually breed in my 125.. Eric, if you are able to sex some younger ones, you are welcome to the sex you need from my group. They are 1.5" juvies.
  7. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Thanks for the Dupes, Randy! I'll try and get them to breed soon and get them back to you!
  8. Dave

Eric, would you like to come pick up the C. sterbai? They spawned once and then ate the eggs. I have been feeding them repashy and black worms, and giving them cool R/O water changes, but nothing is triggering them. I am trying to focus on African Cichlids, with an emphasis on Tangs, so these guys need to move out. Otherwise I will send them back over to Randy.
  9. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

I haven't been having great luck with duplicareus, either. I've been getting fry consistently, but they don't seem to make it very long. I just collected another 8 eggs last night, so I might try some different things. Maybe softer water? IDK. I can come pick up the sterbai. I've got a 10 gallon tank that I can put them in and see if I can get anything from them. When is a good time to come by? This weekend?
  10. Dave

This weekend, I will follow-up with you on Saturday morning. No sure what all is going on this weekend, but we will find a time.
  11. babers

babers Member

Would like to borrow the sterbai group if they are available. Thanks.
  12. Natives2WI

Natives2WI Well-Known Member

i would be interested in working wtih the dupl's. I have a 33 XL set up for shrimp and snails, could put them in there and have a go... never thought about breeding corys.. I have a group of 15 juvi sterbai's that are roaming my 125.. hope they eventually breed when they mature.
  13. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

Some corydoras are difficult!
  14. Marine590622

Sorry there Nate, when Eric is done with the duplicareous I need them back.
  15. Marine590622

Eric if you are getting fry and they are not surviving it has to be an issue with your hatchery. I kept the temp for the fry up at about 80 degrees, hard water long light periods
  16. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

I used to produce a lot of duplicareus. What I did with them is hatch the eggs in a 1-liter plastic cup with a 4" diameter bottom that was only 1/2 full of water. I would sink some long-fiber sphagnum moss in the cup, add a few drops of meth blue to darken the water and aerate well. When the fry were free swimming, would feed paramecium and baby brine. I would add one inch of aged water every day until the cup was full, then drop the water back to 1/2 full and start over. After a week I dumped the cup into a 2.5-gallon tank and the fry woudl tank off on baby brine, chopped black worm and repashy Spawn and Grow.
    Aquaticus likes this.
  17. jcvang

jcvang Member

I would like some Corydora Duplicareus
  18. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

I think I have been trying to move the fry to the growout tank too soon. This time, I'll try leaving them in the half gallon container (floating in the tank) for a little longer. I've had good luck getting the eggs to hatch using a couple of drops of homemade oak extract to inhibit fungus. My wife just rolled her eyes when I filled a container with soggy oak leaves and used our immersion blender to turn them into brown water. I think she is OK with it as long as there aren't worms. Collected about 10 more eggs last night.
  19. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

Light is a bigger issue with cory eggs/fry than bacteria. Healthy eggs generally do not 'fungus'. Meth blue darkens the water and blocks all light wavelengths except blue. If there are lights over that tank you are floating the eggs in, that might be contributing to the problem.
  20. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator