DIY cfl hood

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Chuck, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

Once upon a time about 2 tears ago I made a Fluor hood with 3 strip lights in it.
    My cats approved of this by making it their night time bed.
    Yesterday 25 lbs of cat ( yes I know they are too fat but we all have our problems) was too much when they launched themselves off it when I dropped a can of fish food. ( they love fish food) . The hood went one way they went the other.
    I am now salvaging the remains and building a CFL hood( reinforced and hopefully cat proofed) . I will take pictures along the way for any people with cat problems.
    Do you think that there will be any barbed wire in the auction?

Attached Files:

2. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

So here are the pieces and the beginning of the rebuild.

Attached Files:

3. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

Here is the mostly finished product. I am not happy with the material that I have covering the surface. It's like a pressed cardboard and I can see it absorbing moisture down the road. It was what I had available and I had to get the aquarium covered. The 2 dome lights with 13 watt full spectrum bulbs replace three 20 watt gro lux bulbs. It gives a much more even light. This was my first try using existing materials. Overall the lighting efficiency, and strength are better, but I am not completely happy. I will keep working on it.
    I am also going to do a rebuild on my 50 gallon hood. My daughter gave me some ideas on maximizing the light out put with CFL's. That project might take a back seat to the ponds and growing plants out doors. L image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg