Dusty Java Moss

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquatic Plants' started by SteveSchulz, Apr 28, 2015.

1. SteveSchulz

SteveSchulz Member

For the past week or more I have been closely watching the java moss in my planted shrimp and neon tank. All of my java moss has a light carpet of something on the tips of almost every strand. It almost looks like a layer of light gray ash or almost like dryer lint. It's only on the java moss, none of my other plants. I've been wondering if it was some kind of weird algae growing on the moss but today I went to do a trimming of my plants and all I did was lightly brush against the java moss with the scissors and this stuff started coming off and floating all over the tank. I did a quick partial water change to suck up as much of it as I could with the syphon. Does anyone have any idea what this might be? Has anyone experienced the same thing? Again it's only on the java moss and not on any of my other plants.
  2. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

3. SteveSchulz

SteveSchulz Member

Thanks for steering me to that forum. I read all the posts but I'm still in the dark as to what it is.

There is no smell to the tank.
    The java moss is not slimy at all. I just trimmed it today.
    It can't be food settling on the moss because I've been watching this stuff for over a week and until Sunday there was nothing in the tank to feed. I just put my shrimps and neons in on Sunday.
    I have LED lighting on this tank and it's 36w in a 20h tank so that's only about 1.5 WPG. I have it on a timer and only run it 6 hours during the day and then I have the blue moonlight setting come on at 9pm and go off at midnight.
    The moss is growing nicely and is nice and green in color. It doesn't appear to be rotting at all.

I guess the only thing I can do for now is continue to keep an eye on it, keep it trimmed and see what happens.
  4. TheyJustWantedGoldfish

TheyJustWantedGoldfish Active Member

I can't tell you what it is either, but I've seen similar "lint" settle on parts of a tank with little to no water movement, and only on surfaces that seem to grab and hold on to it. Smooth surfaces, like broad leaved plants, don't seem to collect it. In a tank with water movement from filters, powerheads, or even just fish swimming around, it does not seem to settle at all.

Maybe it is something that precipitates out of our liquid rock water? Do plants make lint as they grow that floats around and settles? Aquatic pixie dust? Dunno.

If the java moss is growing and looks nice and green, I doubt it is of any concern. Just suck it up when you do water changes if you don't like it. Maybe with fish in the tank you won't see it as much!
  5. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

I had the same thing on my moss and after i added my Oto's it seemed to disappear. I agree with Lisa though water movement will help but if it doesn't go in the right direction your moss could be covered in even more debris. I would let the shrimp have a go at it because they will dig into it. The neons will move through it butt otos would be the way to go or nerite snails. I don't know if the otos will mess with shrimplets or not.
  6. SteveSchulz

SteveSchulz Member

I'm not sure about the otos messing with my shrimps either and I'd hate to take a chance. They are fire red Sukuras which are pretty small even full grown. Whatever this stuff is doesn't seem to be harmful because I've seen a couple of the shrimp in and on the moss and I've seen the corys and the neons picking bits of flake food off of it. It's just unusual and unnatural looking. I got in there with the scissors today and a pretty good trimming and then sucked a lot of that stuff up doing a partial water change and it looks better tonight. We'll see how long it takes to come back and I'll report on it here. I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one who's ever experienced this stuff.
  7. Ashley

Ashley Well-Known Member

Ottos are totally harmless towards shrimp. They are one of the few truly shrimp safe fish. Your neons are more likely to eat baby shrimp.
  8. SteveSchulz

SteveSchulz Member

Thanks Ashley, that's good to know. I don't know much of anything about otos except they need to be in groups of several and eat 24/7. I have good plant growth in my tank but very little algae so far and the shrimp won't seem to eat anything else. Once I get more algae growth otos may be something to consider.
  9. TheyJustWantedGoldfish

My otos eat Repashy Soilent Green like crazy. If I get some algae growth on plants in that tank, I have to stop giving them any to make them go back to cleaning off the plants.
  10. SteveSchulz

SteveSchulz Member

I don't think I've ever heard of Repashy Soilent Green. Is that sold at most pet stores or is it something you have to order off the internet? Is it a flake or pellet or wafer or what?
  11. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

Repashy is a powder food that you add water so that it becomes a gel-based food. You can get it from Ted's Fish room.
  12. TANK

TANK Active Member

Jell0 for fish.:)
  13. TheyJustWantedGoldfish

Jello for fish that smells more like lutefisk (which is fish jello, coincidentally). But fish love it. I have a lot made up right now if you would like a sample.
  14. SteveSchulz

SteveSchulz Member

Thanks for the offer Lisa. I actually got my shrimp from JeffW in Oshkosh and he gave me a container of "green jello" to feed the shrimp. I just didn't remember the name of the stuff and didn't realize that was what we are talking about here. My bad. So far my shrimp won't touch it but the neons and the corys sure scarf it up.
  15. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

Shrimp will eat it in a day or two. I mix mine a little different from other people. I use Soilent Green, Super Green as the main ingredient I mix in a little Meat Pie. Redrum, and Spawn & Grow. My shrimp all love it. Bristlenose devour it and the fish all eat there fair share and then some.
    No i don't get commission from Ted. Lol
  16. SteveSchulz

SteveSchulz Member

Hey Jeff, so far my shrimp aren't eating anything but algae off of the plants. At least not that I can see. They may be eating biofilm off the sponge filter and whatever grows on those big leaves but not while I'm looking. They seem to be healthy though.
  17. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

As long as they are eating the algae and biofilm they will be fine. Once they see the repashy as food they will eat it up. Remember you only have to feed shrimp every 3 days or so. I only feed every three to four days. Biofilm and algae take care of the rest.
  18. SteveSchulz

SteveSchulz Member

Do you have any plans to make a shopping run any time soon?
  19. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

What are you interested in. i just got some Crystal Black Shrimp a couple days ago but plan on an order next week for foods and new shrimp.
  20. SteveSchulz

SteveSchulz Member

I'd like another 10-20 Fire Red shrimp like the ones I have.