Fast water change

Discussion in 'General Marine Aquarium Keeping' started by TEX, Dec 16, 2016.

1. TEX

TEX Member

Somewhere on this site (I think I saw it here) A member talked about someone he saw do A water change of 240 gallons in 40 minutes if you are reading this and it is you I want to know how that was done.
    I have A 480 gallon with stingrays I can empty out 150 gallons in 15 minutes and it takes A hour to fill
    I want to know how to do 240 gallons complete in 401
  2. hazard

hazard Active Member

When I am doing waterchanges I run out my 50gal water heater in say 20-30 minutes this time of year. I would assume if fill at least 150gal of 75 degree water. Are you on a well?
  3. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

If you can stage 240 gallons in barrels and then fill from the barrels I could see getting it down but if you are taking an hour to refill 150 gallons then I am assuming you are on a well.
  4. TEX

TEX Member

No I am not on A well
  5. Narwhal72

Narwhal72 Well-Known Member

Use a 1" or 1.25" diameter hose instead of the normal 5/8". No problem draining the water. A tap typically flows 24 gpm but the resistance in a 100' garden hose drops that down to 6 gpm. Using a larger diameter hose will speed it up.
  6. steve

steve Active Member

is this a marine tank? if so I would definitely make the water 24 hours ahead of time and bring it up to temp. if not then this is in the wrong forum.