Finally.... an LED for planted tanks

Discussion in 'Planted Aquarium Tech' started by tjudy, Jun 1, 2013.

1. tjudy

tjudy Advisory Board Staff Member

I know that there are lots of LED options on the market, but Current USA's new (a few months on the market already) Satellite Freshwater LED + has managed to combine some features that are good for growing plants. Here is a link to my video blog post about the light:

http://tedsfishroom.com/2013/06/01/current-usas-satellite-freshwater-led/

Checking online, this light retails for about $100... not bad really. Especially compared to the 36" or 48" HO T5 fixtures.... plus the cost of bulbs.
  2. Narwhal72

Narwhal72 Well-Known Member

You need to get that PAR meter and start taking some measurements.

Keep in mind with RGB LED's are not as efficient as solid color LED's. Also any color changing drops your PAR values down. It's like turning off 1/3-2/3 of your lighting.

But it does give a really cool effect.

Andy
  3. tjudy

Yep... still nee dot find a par meter. But aquarists with meters have been playing with the lights for awhile (there are a few threads on plantedtank.com), and the reports are good. This light is not going to have a great par rating in deep tanks. Over my 30 gallon (16") it appears to be bright enough. Over a 13" tank it is performing well.
  4. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

So where is the pricing info?
  5. tjudy

I do not sell them, so I do not price them. Most of the big online stores sell them, and a search will show you proce comparisons. I have seen the unit in my video as low as $115
  6. Axis

Axis Active Member

7. Axis

Axis Active Member

Im beginning to think i have my own....whats a polite word.....follower....here on the forum.....hahaha. now wheres a bridge.......
  8. Axis

Axis Active Member

That was just a little good natured ribbing btw! ;P im rarely serious unless its tech/auto talk or a hobby im into.