Gars fish house

Discussion in 'Member's Blogs' started by Gar, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Gar

Gar Member

I have been thinking about starting a blog for awhile now. As I was reading through the rules of BAP I decided it would be a great place to keep track of my spawn dates as well. So as a little back story on me and my journey through the hobby. As a child we always had a family aquarium. As I got older I found myself buying fish for it. My mother let me go to town with it as long as I would drop having a pet snake. So like any good child I kept grass snakes and hog nose snake in the summer outside without her knowing. She did draw the line the day I wanted to buy a 10 in Oscar. She told me if I want that big bully of a fish I need my own aquarium. So that day I bought my first ever aquarium standard 55 long. Hook line sinker Done deal age 15 and forever more I'll have at least 1 aquarium. Have ad a few set backs along the way. Had to go down to just my one 120 Fat boy for many years with only one of my Gar left. Over the last few years lets just say I have been trying to make up for lost time with the hobby. Buying aquariums and setting them up with no real plan. I find myself now with 14 running aquariums and two not. With a lot of things changing in my life right now it is a good distraction and welcome chore to do water changes. I'll try to get pictures of each tank put together in the near future maybe tonight and a list of the little guys in it. I will also try to post on here my progress with my newest goal of breeding L081 (Baryancistrus)Golden nuggets. Going to e setting up their own Tank to simulate The amazon as best I can. Trying to also redesign the front room where most of my tanks are to make everything a little less unorganized. Sense the floor needs redone anyway perfect time to do it. Also have taken in a few fish with the purchase of some of my tanks. Thinking about letting some of them go.

KIMG0039.JPG
    120 With the Gar and my big Jaguar hiding in the back that pleco is no longer in there he liked to try and suck on the gar so he got moved.

KIMG0041.JPG
    This is the 110 tall this tank was set up just for the Blue Nile tilapia. it has changed little since this picture.
    Dragon159 and Sean S like this.
  2. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

Glad to have you, I got back into the hobby in full force a couple years ago myself, now I'm over 40 tanks. Can't wait to hear your progress, good luck with the gold nuggets!
    jeri likes this.
  3. Gar

Gar Member

Doing water changes in all my tanks today. Well doing that I started to work on the set up for my L081. Started socking some drift wood I like to use a planter in the top of another tank. It help so I don't have to rearrange the tanks as much also allows me to seed some beneficial bacteria if I need to.
    KIMG0296.JPG KIMG0294.JPG KIMG0297.JPG
    Also here is the start of the plumbing for the nuggets not going in the tank I am just using it to make sure the pump would be off the bottom.
    KIMG0295.JPG Going to run it to the other side of the tank and make a latter of spray bars to generate max current for them. Three of them seem very happy in their current holding tank. After they get passed the 30 day point then the fun really will begin. One I believe to be a male has dug out under the wood to make himself a cave. Two of the others hang out right by there. Sorry it is a dark they still are not use to my light it is a little bright.
    KIMG0292.JPG
    Then well doing the gars tank I came across these little guys getting busy. KIMG0291.JPG Well I hope you all enjoy the update.

Attached Files:

4. Gar

Gar Member

Doing some water changes today. Going to feed the Gar about 20 feeders before his water change. He is a very messy eater it help keep the tank clean doing the wc after he eats. Almost forgot I have 1 L081 digging out a cave under the drift wood in their holding tank.He has one friend that just chills by his hole the other he chases away. I have not sexed any of them yet still just letting them get use to the routine. Have not been eating any of the food I have offered instead they are eating the snails and drift wood. I am considering just letting them be for another few months. A lot will depend on how much self control I can have at Cataclysm. Also my MTS is affecting my cousin who asked me to set up a tank for her kids. That will be a fun time for them. Their little boy loves coming over and see the fish. So off to my stuff done for today.
  5. Gar

Gar Member

Well I came home from work today to find that my heater had broke and killed everything in my 110 gallon. I had just plugged my heaters back in at the beginning of the month. So now it is just clean up and drain the tank. Maybe I'll just re setup the entire tank. Not sure yet to early to say.
  6. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

Bummer, I hope you are able to restock with some awesome fish.
  7. Gar

Gar Member

Cleaning up my planted shrimp tank today going do some water changes. Still trying to figure out where exactly to move my tanks around to setup the 150 gallon that I won. Thinking about fishing out the L450s today to will see how far I get with water changes. Going to turn on the heaters to get my Maylandia callainos to spawn again.
    Mike F and Sean S like this.
  8. Gar

Gar Member

Well feeding this morning I noticed I got at least 1 Maylandia callainos holding eggs and anther being pursued be the 2 males. Sure don't take them long to get down to business. Lol
    Sean S likes this.
  9. Gar

Gar Member

Ok its been awhile but I received a request from a friend the other day. I kinda gotta tell a story here. See his mother has cancer and has always wanted a hex tank with common seahorses in it. Its one of her bucket lists things. So he asked me to see what I can do I got the perfect tank a 65 hex but I have no idea about salt water and am hoping someone can help me a little(A LOT). I can set it up but have no idea about the rest I only have went as far as brackish. I know it is a reach but would really like to make this happen soon. If you can offer any advice or help please pm me!