Growing aquarium plants above water (food for thought)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquatic Plants' started by Chuck, May 18, 2014.

1. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

I have been experimenting with growing various aquarium plants above water. One of the ones I had luck with and would urge people to try is the Giant Hygrophilia. I threw some in my pond late last year. It grew above water got reddish purple eaves and a lot of small lavender flowers. My wife liked it so much that she has planted several indoors. They constantly cycle their flowers. I have also playing with various Crypts and swords. When it finally warms up this year, I plan to expand my efforts
    Another branch of the hobby to explore. It helps that my wife is involved. Instead of glaring at new glass box in the sun room, she wants know what I am trying and does it involve anything that she can plant.
    Aquaticus and Cinnamonsticks like this.
  2. EVOLTNVII

EVOLTNVII Member

thats awesome id love to see some pics of your efforts.
    Cinnamonsticks likes this.
  3. followyourshadow

followyourshadow Advisory Board Staff Member

More detail please! Did you plant the hygro? If so is it partially submerged or just the roots in water? Any special chemicals or CO2 suppliments? I know you said it was initially in your pond, but I have this little tank that I'e been wanting to do strong, tall emergent plants in...
  4. mlaursen

mlaursen Well-Known Member

Riccia, Java moss, Broadleaf ludwigia, Rotala rotundifolia, all of these will grow on a damp substrate.

Michael
  5. followyourshadow

followyourshadow Advisory Board Staff Member

But not tall and sturdy. I want to make a teeny tiny forest ^.^
  6. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

image.jpg
    I actually fell across this by accident. I threw some Giant broad leaf Hygro in one of my ponds last year . It floated to the side and rooted. By the end of the year it had grown above water . It had purple red leaves. I gave it to my wife to play with. She planted it in the vase you see with first soil then litter with a gravel cap. She kept the water just above the soil. When it started getting leggy, she nipped it off. It's been flowering off and on ever since.
    I have started a 2 and half gallon since then and I am trying others. I have about one gallon of water in it and put 2 guppies in for fertilizer. There are now about a dozen guppies showing phenomenal growth. There is no filter and I feed them like any tank. I know I am not doing anything new but that is what makes the hobby so cool. You can go in so many directions and it is FUN!!!
    I will bring some in to the next meeting if anyone is interested.

Attached Files:

Aquaticus likes this.
  7. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

I 'm setting up a 10 outside today . I am going to try Crypts Water Sprite, Rotala , more Hygro. Of course there will be some fish that will volunteer for the great outdoors. Probably white clouds or danios. This should be a good summer project.
  8. Detautafni

Detautafni Active Member

You should do same genus different species and then once they flower cross pollinate and generate a hybrid plant
  9. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

I decided that that I needed a home for the Tiger Endlers that I bought this month. They are now out in the tank. Even though the female is only a third grown, she dropped a dozen babies.
    Blue2Fyre and Natives2WI like this.