Guppies

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Wrosenthal, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Wrosenthal

Wrosenthal Member

I volunteer for the Madison School District with their Science Materials Center, which is responsible for sending out live animals to classrooms (including fish). Guppies are the most commonly sent out fish (danios are sent for some other units), but getting guppies from pet stores or biological supply companies is unnecessarily expensive and the fish usually arrive in poor health.

If anyone has larger numbers of guppies they would be open to selling to the school district at a low price, please let me know and I can get you the appropriate contact info. Guppy color or quality doesn't matter at all, we just want to get a breeding population established in-house.
  2. REVTODD

REVTODD Active Member Staff Member

Not sure anyone here will be able to provide the number that John needs at a better price (he pays $.05 each from me and buys 500 at a time). All you guys need is to setup a breeding tank. I have talked to him about this in the past. The big problem is sometimes he needs a ton and then will not need any again for some time. Just not sure how much work anyone wanted to put into keeping a large enough population going all year around. With that said the fish he just picked up Tuesday would work just fine as breeders.
  3. Megan

Megan Executive Board Staff Member

Even feeder guppies ate mote than .05 cent each at our auctions.
  4. Wrosenthal

Wrosenthal Member

He didn't inform me of the price, but just decided to set up a breeding tank and I knew I could find cheap feeders through the people here. This wasn't intended to ruffle anyone's feathers, just trying to help where I can.
  5. Megan

Megan Executive Board Staff Member

I'm sorry. I didn't mean that to be as snippy as it sounded. More of an observation.
  6. Bushman

Bushman Active Member

I can supply 200 right now at 10 cents each and probably 200 every two or three months. They are well fed, disease free, and better quality than typical feeder guppies. I will be bringing some to auction at the meeting this Saturday also.
  7. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Craig's guppies!
  8. REVTODD

REVTODD Active Member Staff Member

No ruffled feathers here on my end.
  9. Troy

Troy Member

I breed a lot of pure strain guppies and have culls on occasion. (Culls as in fish that don't live up to the strain standard; not deformed.) If its for the kids I'd give them to you free of charge.