Guppy Fry

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by Cinnamonsticks, May 15, 2013.

1. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

When guppies are born into a planted community tank are they most likely to hide up top or down below?

All the ones I find are way up near the surface hidden behind plants. I think they are ~ 1 week old. I have no freaking idea.

Thank you
  2. duxallinarow

duxallinarow Active Member

My Endlers tend to birth their babies in the floating hornwort (actually saw one pop up there), and the babies hide in its growth until they're bigger than a mouthful. AFter that, they explore all over.
    Cinnamonsticks likes this.
  3. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

Ok thank you. The ones I caught must have started to feel confident. They would swim near the moms, but not too close.
  4. duxallinarow

I've never had a livebearer that swam near (let alone recognized) the female that dropped it. That kind of surprises me. Are you sure that they're not just all hiding in the same weeds?
  5. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

I have no idea if they recognize their mommy. But once they are born they come out. No hiding unless I'm doing a water change etc. I don't think any of my tank inhabitants are interested in snacking on them.
  6. followyourshadow

followyourshadow Advisory Board Staff Member

Ours are out and about pretty soon after birth, too. I just let them do as they please, in the hopes that someone in there is hungry and willing to help me do population control :rolleyes:
  7. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

Yeah I have at least 20 of those damn things and another mommy ready to pop... I will need to find a way to deal with the fries...
  8. duxallinarow

9. followyourshadow

I was thinking butter.
  10. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

bwahhahahahahaha
  11. followyourshadow

Yeah, I went there.
  12. duxallinarow

I could lend you a couple of lemon tetras to go with the butter ...
    followyourshadow likes this.
  13. Bushman

Bushman Active Member

Nano sushi. Actually, one of my favorite Japanese foods consists of dried fish about the size of guppy fry on top of shredded daikon radish, with a little soy sauce on top. Yum yum! Goes good with beer or sake.
  14. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

Now we know why he raises all those guppies.
    Cinnamonsticks likes this.
  15. duxallinarow

Hey, have you ever tried Korean chili fish? Little dried anchovy-type fish in a sweet chili sauce. I used to buy them from the Korean delis when I lived in Chicago. Around here I've bought them at Lee's Oriental on University, although I haven't been there in a while.
  16. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

17. duxallinarow

18. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

Mission accomplished >:]
  19. Bushman

Bushman Active Member

Yes, I have tried them. My wife is Korean and makes them. She also makes her own kimchee, which is better than anything you can buy in the market. Actually, one of the more popular foods in Japan is Ebi (shrimp) Chilli Sauce, which I love. Also, small shrimp about half the size of Red Cherry Shrimp are also great with shredded radish and soy sauce. I like Cassandra's link above. There are a bunch of foods in the pictures I have eaten many times and like so much. I do find some of the items disgusting, but, to each his own. BTW, did you see the article recently about the U.S. government wanting to promote the eating of insects in this country? One thing I never did try was the roasted in sugar silk worms they sell on the streets of Seoul. The Korean market on south Park Street is much better and cheaper than Lee's, and Lee seems to have an attitude. That tropical fish store next to Lee's was great, though.
  20. duxallinarow

I just finished making a batch of kimchee, and set it to ferment in the basement fridge. How does your wife make the chili fish? Would she share her recipe? Speaking of "disgusting," I used to get another delicacy regularly at a Korean deli near me in Chicago – I don't know the dish's name, but it was basically raw fish guts in hot chili sauce. Think "exploding fish meets sriracha." Very weird.