guppy with bent spines keep dying

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by Dale L. Manning, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Dale L. Manning

Dale L. Manning New Member

we keep buying guppies from petsmart and at first they do fine then within a few days to a week some show signs of sluggish and then there spine start to bend down. than within a couple of weeks they die. water quality is good, i have been doing water changes every week now every other day. I have uploaded a picture ,any help please. Dale

Attached Files:

2. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

Come to a meeting and buy a crap ton of home grown guppies for cheap.
    Dale L. Manning likes this.
  3. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

If this is a recurring problem, then I would guess it is disease related. It could be a mycobacteria infection, which can cause bent spines over time. I'm not the right person to comment on treatment, but maybe someone else could chime in?
  4. Elise

Elise Active Member

Very strange. It does sound a bit like disease, since it has happened more than once, but the bent spine seems like an odd symptom. I'd think that would be either genetic (but the sudden onset seems to suggest it's not) or some sort of deficiency. A bit of Google searching pops up TB as a possible disease causing this - I'm not saying that's what it is, but you might want to wear gloves while cleaning in that tank just in case, since it can be transferred to humans.

What are you feeding? What does the poop look like? Anything else abnormal? Are you putting them into the same tank/same tank water as the previous inhabitants? Maybe a total break-down and sanitization of the tank would be beneficial if you haven't already done so.
  5. tjudy

tjudy Advisory Board Staff Member

Bent spine, wasting and tumors are all symptoms of mycobacteria infections... the sad part is that antibiotics will not touch it. Myco is pervasive throughout the fish farming industry, especially in Asia and Florida. The fish are inoculated with it at birth, but most farms (especially Asia) raise the fish in a medicated soup that keeps disease in check. Stress (from shipping usually) suppresses the fish' immune systems and the myco starts to grow. It can take weeks or months for myco to kill the fish.
  6. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

Bottom line when it comes to pet store guppies is its cheaper to go to a different store and buy new than to pay the cost of meds, not to mention your time involved treating a $3 fish.
  7. Dale L. Manning

Dale L. Manning New Member

Thank you for what help you all have given. I will be coming to the meeting.
    Cinnamonsticks and Aquaticus like this.