Hobby tips

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Aquarium Keeping' started by fishlady, Dec 13, 2011.

1. fishlady

fishlady Executive Board

Thought it would be nice if we each shared a tip that we found to make the hobby easier/better.

I will go first. This may seem like nothing but whenever I do a water change on a tank. I take the glass tops off and spray them with vinegar and use a green scrubby (scotchbrite) and remove the hard water deposits. I then rinse them off with hot water and dry them, and they usually are good as new. I find if I do this often then the build up is minimal and the tanks appear much brighter.

That's my tip, what's yours????
    jcvang likes this.
  2. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

Nice tip Pat!
  3. fishlady

fishlady Executive Board

Nobody else wants to share a hobby tip? :(
  4. suds1421

suds1421 Member

Instead of filter cartridges in a lot of my filters I run green scotch brite pads, they sell big ones at home depot and they fit most filters. I run them in my emperor's and my aqua clears, it's a great pre-filter that is so cheap I can throw it away. (But I rinse them MANY times, before they are clogged)

I also use quilt batting from wal-mart as a polishing filter, once again, VERY cheap and effective.
    jcvang likes this.
  5. fishlady

fishlady Executive Board

Nice tip :) I am sure many people will find that one helpful.
    thanks
  6. suds1421

suds1421 Member

Just used another one from the survival book..
    http://offgridsurvival.com/fishing-trap/

I wanted to get a few fish out of my display tank, one was a smaller one so I made a fish trap by cutting off the top of a pop bottle and putting it back inside the rest of the bottle. I taped off the opening so it was small, then I put some of their favorite food inside...

Sure enough the next day I had caught like 6 fish, including the 3 I wanted, the other 3 went back in...
    Cinnamonsticks likes this.
  7. fishlady

fishlady Executive Board

I wonder if that would work for getting snails out of a tank?
  8. suds1421

suds1421 Member

It does, just make sure the snails can get "in", I've used it to catch them, just put in some lettuce and they'll go right in. My tanks have a ton of rock in them so I use the traps to get stuff out, much easier...
  9. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

Can you show a picture of the snail trap. That one will come in handy for collecting a lot of snails at one time to feed to my assassin snail colony.

Thanks
    Jeff
  10. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

Here is a tip that I used to use all the time, but have gotten away from it. Maybe thinking of it will get me to do it again...

A cheap net/scrubbing pad disinfectant is hydrogen peroxide. Once a week I put the nets and pads in a fish bag with just a few ounces of H2O2, close the bag up with air (with the bag closed around the net handles) and shake vigorously. Pull the objects out and let them air dry. H2O2 naturally decomposes to water and oxygen gas, and it will kill most bacteria and protozoan cells.
  11. suds1421

suds1421 Member

I don't have a picture of mine, but I build them just like this:
    http://offgridsurvival.com/fishing-trap/

I use a soda bottle and tape it back shut. Make sure you leave some openings to let the last of the air out around the seal.

Throw it in the tank with some greens and wait for the snails. It won't get them all but it does help.
  12. fishlady

fishlady Executive Board

I am loving all the tips. Keep them coming :D
  13. Rick

Rick Active Member

Today is the first day that I looked into this topic and I LIKE IT! I like to pre-mix my baby brine shrimp. I use film cannisters and put salt, epsom salt, and brine shrimp eggs in it. The cannisters are big enough to hold enough "stuff" for a quart of water. I then put the cannisters in the freezer. They stay fresh this way and it is easy to use. That's all I got.
  14. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

That is by far the least of the things I have learned from you Rick.

For myself, I wanted to add a tip. Stand up for yourself.

Twice now I have had products fail in far shorter time then they should have. Both times I contacted the company and they provided brand new product.

The first time was a canister filter and realistically, I just needed a new O ring for the top. They sent a brand new filter. Most recently three of my LED fixtures failed Through trouble shooting I determined that I could repair them by purchasing the power supply which had burned out. called the company and they are shipping three brand new lights plus the power supplies.
  15. fishlady

fishlady Executive Board

Anyone else? Let's keep this going as these are really good tips :D
  16. fyshy58

fyshy58 New Member

One of the easiest ways to polish glass on the outside of the tank is to use a piece of folded up black and wite newspaper. It takes off some calcium and any smears like a magic eraser.
  17. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

A number of our speakers have mentioned using leaf litter in the aquarium. Now is a great time of year to collect leaf litter. The best leaf available locally would be oak, and at this time of year it is easy to collect. The leaves are for the most part still on the tree, while other trees have all lost their leaves.

Grab a bag, take a walk, and any tree that still has its leaves would be an oak.
  18. fishlady

fishlady Executive Board

Would like to hear more tips. Anyone else want to share?
  19. followyourshadow

followyourshadow Advisory Board Staff Member

When we are starting a new tank or doing really big water changes we float a tupperware lid and pour onto that to keep the falling water from disturbing the substrate. Works better than any other method we've tried :)
  20. Physarum

Physarum Executive Board

Speaking of magic erasers, they will take methylene blue off countertops and tile, but not off a white dog (don't ask).

I put a pantyhose sleeve over the end of my Python hose when I'm worried about vacuuming up very small fry. And when they are a bit bigger, I use a bigger mesh net so I can still get any debris off the bottom without putting any babies down the drain. If there are any pockets or folds, or if you use a rubber band to hold net in place, CHECK IT when you pull it out of the tank :)