How and when to put away water liles for the winter?

Discussion in 'Pond Plants' started by Scott Wiersema, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Scott Wiersema

Scott Wiersema Executive Board

I have several that I bought Manard's and Home Depot last spring. They are suppose to be hardy. I will draining since It a cement block tank and don't want it to freeze and break.

I assume I will need to put them in different pots next year.
  2. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

If the baskets will fit in a 5-gallon bucket, pull them at first frost, trim them the crown, out the in a bucket full of water and set them in a garage. If it gets cold enough in the garage for the bucket to freeze solid, you will need someplace warmer. The risk with the bucket method is that the roots could freeze because there is no insulating muck of a lake bottom around them.
  3. TANK

TANK Active Member

I put mine in plastic bags then put them in a dark area of the mudroom(unheated but insulated and is around 45 degrees during the winter). Have had no issues doing this the last 3 years.
  4. duane stuermer

duane stuermer Active Member

For many years I have done the same method TANK explained, and it has always worked great.
    Last year I put them in a kiddy pool in my unheated basement, with only a shop light on a timer hanging above. Tried because some of the fish had become to large to over winter in tanks, and this method also worked well.
    The pool method also seemed to give the lilies a bit of jump start in spring.
    [​IMG]
  5. Scott Wiersema

When do you repot them for the spring? I used to keep one in the tub year in Louisiana. They count the hours that it goes before freezing. The garage would not work for me because it will get down to -20 or so in the winter. I try in in the basement this year. I am worried about bringing dragonfly larvae out in the spring. The pots are full of roots right now. The container they were sold in are very small.

What kind of soil do you use? natural dirt or the kitty litter like stuff?

Last night it was down to the 30s. The two days of fall.
  6. duane stuermer

I repot in spring, pull them out, and saw the root ball in half and make 2, using ordinary soil, with some gravel on top.
  7. Scott Wiersema

I am filling up the pond today. I was cleaning leaves tank. I noticed a bunch of things swimming in the water. I scooped a cup out of it is full of Daphinia. I put some in thee last summer. They must of hatched in the last couple of days. They are not full grown yet. There must be millions. The Tank is 18' by 9' fiove onches deep.
  8. Scott Wiersema

I went and moved the water lilies from last year out of the basement. They are all alive and most look like a piles of spaghetti. I need to get some containers to repot them.
  9. duane stuermer

Must be a banner year for daphnia, although I didn't knowingly add any last fall, my pond has had an amazing bloom of of them the last few weeks.
    Couldn't have come at a better time, with 3 species of fry to raise, and hopefully another couple in the near future.
    On a side note, I brought my lilies out of the basement a month ago, and all are growing well.