How long can eggs lie dormant?

Discussion in 'Killifish' started by AssassinJimmie, Mar 9, 2015.

1. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

I have a tank that housed two pairs of fundlupanchax gardeneri gardeneri at one time. They haven't been in that tank for at least 9-10 month maybe a year. I've pulled 2-3 rounds of fry out and I am still finding new ones every few weeks. It's only 1-3 at a time. How long could this continue. I have never seen any killie eggs in this tank but I've never looked there is a solid layer of long strand sphagnum peat moss across the bottom so I have assumed that's where they are hiding. I've had cories in the tank since about two months after the Killies came out.
  2. Elise

Elise Active Member

My fp. Walkeri spawn in the sand, or the gravel, or anything else they feel like, so there are probably eggs all over the tank. I think oxygen has a lot to do with egg development, so it's possible if they didn't have adequate oxygen their development was delayed. Maybe the cories are digging up the substrate and allowing them to hatch?
  3. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

Some dirt spawners can lie dormant for years.
  4. Rick

Rick Member

Temperature has a lot to do with it also. I have had some eggs take 4-6 weeks to hatch because it is rather cool in my fish room.
    Rick