ID needed

Discussion in 'Catfish and Bottom Dwellers' started by Andie Jurcoi, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Andie Jurcoi

Andie Jurcoi New Member

So I have a new wood catfish. He was sold as a galaxy wood cat, but i don't think that was accurate. Opinions? I realize there are a lot of wood cats, but i want to ge the id as close as possible.

Attached Files:

2. Narwhal72

Narwhal72 Well-Known Member

Try posting on planetcatfish. It's definitely not a galaxy but I don't know my woodcats well enough to identify it.
  3. tjudy

tjudy Advisory Board Staff Member

The shape is not right for a Tatia or Centromochlus. It looks closer to a Trachelyopterus sp. Wood cats can be hard to identify.
  4. AreYouKiddingMe

AreYouKiddingMe Active Member

Trachelyopterus galeatus
  5. Andie Jurcoi

Andie Jurcoi New Member

How positive are you?
  6. Andie Jurcoi

Andie Jurcoi New Member

Waiting on my email confirmation ;)
  7. Andie Jurcoi

Andie Jurcoi New Member

I know what you mean. I tried doing it myself and got lost within all the wood catfishes. That does help narrow it down though!
  8. Andie Jurcoi

Andie Jurcoi New Member

Actually, what I really would like to know is how big it's going to get, not nessesarily its specific ID.
  9. Andie Jurcoi

Andie Jurcoi New Member

Sorry, im just spamming but why Trachelyopterus and not Trachelyichthys?
  10. tjudy

tjudy Advisory Board Staff Member

Trachelyichthys exilis is a common wood cat in the hobby. The other described species is not, and the one undescribed is rare too. Your fish is not the T. exilis. There are several species of Trachelyopterus. T. galeatus is a good shout. Most of that genus get up to 8" or so.
  11. AreYouKiddingMe

AreYouKiddingMe Active Member

Sorry I am not extremely active on the forums, but pretty sure that my ID above is correct. Though they aren't as common as some of the other woodcats in the hobby, once you get outside of the tatia and centro's, they are reasonably common. You don't need to be activated on PlanetCatfish to view the catelog. Just make sure to go to the Auchenipteridae section of the catelog and take a look.

12. Andie Jurcoi

Andie Jurcoi New Member

Here's a better picture of him.

Attached Files: