Identifying plants at the species level

Discussion in 'General Planted Aquarium' started by Sean S, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

Does anyone know a good resource (online would be preferred) for identifying plants used in the aquarium trade at the species level?
    Often one will get a genus when purchasing a plant (not always the right one but its a starting point) but it is difficult for me to always distinguish one species in a genus from another, particularly when you don't know if it was grown emersed or submersed.
    In anticipation of the new GARP it would be beneficial to me and probably others if there was a good online resource for plant identification. I would love to find a dichotomous key but that may not appeal to everyone.
  2. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

I use Aquatic Plant Central

Plant ID is hard when you consider all the different growth forms a plant can have depending upon the conditions it is grown in.
  3. Mike F

Mike F Advisory Board

I have yet to find a resource for plants as comprehensive as what the BAP program uses for fish. A dichotomous key of popular aquarium plants would be very helpful, most of the ones online were created by universities or state DNRs and only cover plants from the particular locale. If you find or create such a resource let me know...
    Here are some helpful databases:
  4. tjudy

What is the plan for plant ID verification? I have a plant I just got that I am told (by Karen) could be Juncuc repens or a Limnophila...
  5. Mike F

Mike F Advisory Board

We'll do the best we can. GARP committee members have the task of checking that the plant labels match what they see in the bag. There are some other aspects of the auction system and game in general that should help catch things:
    • GARP committee checking plants
    • Buyers and competitors inspecting bags at the auction letting us know about discrepancies
    • Sellers putting in good-faith effort labeling (not to be relied upon, but it's a factor)
    • Buyers reporting back on mislabelings after grow-out
    Mislabeling, intentional or accidental, is a bit of a nightmare. Especially if a mislabeled plant proliferates throughout the club. As a comparison, when someone baps a fish it might be pretty hard to verify ID precisely in the bag (though you can usually get close), but eventually those fish grow up and any discrepancy can be reported by the buyer. With plants we can get the same feedback from buyers who later discover a difference, but it probably won't be as apparent as getting a bap bag that was mislabeled.

With regards to your mystery plant, can you post a couple pictures to the forum and where it came from? People love helping to solve a mystery.
  6. tjudy

I would post pics if the forum let us, but we have to link to a URL of pictures, and these are not on a website.
  7. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

You can post pics on the forum, just click the upload file button next to the post reply button. I have to do it from a computer (can't do it from my phone) but I have posted pictures before, there are size limits though so you may have to make the file smaller.
  8. Mike F

Mike F Advisory Board

Fair enough. Imgur seems to work pretty good for fast and free uploads/sharing, that's what I used for garden expo pictures. If it's on your phone another way to do it is upload to facebook and use "copy image address" and use that url to link to individual pics. Those are the ways I've tried but I'm not super savvy. If you're too busy to dink around with that it's understandable.
  9. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

I use a free app called photoshrinker that reduces the file size of pics on my phone to save space and also allow me to post them. Without using the app all the photos my phone takes are to large to upload to the website.