Infusoria culture

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Physarum, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Physarum

Physarum Executive Board

One pair of bettas laid eggs yesterday evening. Usually, I get the timing wrong and the potential parents just beat each other instead of spawning, so this was unexpected. I started a culture, but I'm not sure it will be ready in time. Does anyone have one going they would be willing to sell, or give me a bit of to jumpstart mine? Thanks!
  2. Dragon159

Dragon159 Advisory Board

I have vinegar eels.
    Physarum likes this.
  3. Physarum

Physarum Executive Board

Ooooh. Do you know if they are smaller than Walter worms? That might bail me out. What did all the Betta splendens breeders feed on here their fry the first few days?
  4. Narwhal72

Narwhal72 Well-Known Member

I started mine on microworms and sponge grunge
    Physarum likes this.
  5. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

Sarah I fed all my betta fry microworms and they did very well. Vinegar eels work well to.
    Physarum likes this.
  6. SteveS

SteveS Advisory Board

Ifusoria is easy. Tank water, sponge grunge and a vegtable. I use instant potatoes. I put tank water in a 1/2 gallon glass jar, squeeze out a sponge, add a 1/2 tsp of instant potatoes and let sit in light. After you see a redish tint to the water in a couple days you can feed that. To keep the cultures going use smaller jars with tank water and use a baster to add the creatures to each jar. Feed a tiny amount of potatoes every few days. Sponge grunge is just fine too if you need a fast food for the first few days of free swimming. What ive been using for years as a culture replacement is pearl reef and larval fish diet 5-50 micron. Easiest way and no messing around with live cultures. Its ultra tiny food that can replace all the micro cultures for the tiniest of fry. I feed that for 2 weeks and then start the brine. Great to keep on hand if your cultures crash.
  7. SteveS

SteveS Advisory Board

Ah. I just read you already have some started so you know how. Sorry lol.