Just a thought about annual fee

Discussion in 'Web Site and Forum' started by terry, Apr 14, 2014.

1. terry

terry Member

I have not been able to find any information explaining what the 5 $ door pass money is used for. I was expecting to find the information from the home page.
    I am sure it is put to good use.:)
    It may be helpful if a person would what their money was going to being used for before showing up at the bowling ally. thanks terry
  2. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

Pretty much like all clubs they plan outing, picnics, Prizes for things they do at meetings like the gadget contest. I think they donate money to fish type charities. It is worth the five dollars to go see the speaker of the month. Which they also have to pay for. Travel expenses, hotel and food. I know there's more but it is just not coming to me at the moment. I was in a club that collected an annual fee, but you never seen the benefit to going to a meeting. This club has lots of good people and really strives to get the best people to come in and talk.
  3. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

Hi Terry,

All of out meetings have a fixed cost for the room, and 8 or 9 of the 10 meetings also have the additional cost of hosting the speaker (which accounts for over 50% of the annual budget). The door fee, depending upon the number of people, usually covers the cost of the room. We chose to use a pay-as-you-go system instead of an annual dues, because we have a lot of members who only make it to a few meetings each year. We do provide an annual pass for $25, which is effectively 1/2 off the door fee if you attend all the meetings. A pass is worht buying if you know you will attend 6 or more meetings.
  4. terry

terry Member

Jeff & Ted
    When a friend asked me what the club did with the money collected I did not know how to answer. I could only assume.
    Now I feel have enough information to pass it on to others. :) Thank you terry
  5. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

We also have had to purchase our projector, computer and screen. We donated money to the New York Aquarium society after the aquarium was devastated by hurricane Sandy. We considering adding an annual budget line to expanding our library, we have ongoing meeting costs like bags, labels, auction slips, etc. Then we have ongoing forum costs. I know I am missing some things, but I think that covers all the bigger ticket items.
  6. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

I have been active in the fish hobby for 35 years . I joined about 3 years ago . I have learned more in the last 3 years and seen fish and plants that you don't even see in books. In my opinion , it's the most fun someone in the hobby can have. I really miss it when I. Can not make it. If you are the type that can't go by a pet shop without wondering what is in it, this is for you.
    You do have to realize though that I am the ultimate fish geek.
  7. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

I am sure that Randy can talk about this at the meeting on Sunday so that people know where the money is going. First and foremost, it pays for the venue and the speaker.