killie basics???

Discussion in 'Killifish' started by fishlady, Oct 14, 2013.

1. fishlady

fishlady Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about killies but will be attending my first meeting soon. So just in case I do a impulse buy which I am known to do. What are some of the basic things I should know about them.

Water temp?
    Would they do well in a planted tank with crypts and val?

The little I have read so far sounds like bare bottom tanks, little ones at that, with either mops (?) or a dish with peat moss in it. Any advise would be helpful.
    Please and thank you
  2. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

When you do an impulse buy, ask the auctioner to describe their breeding strategy Small tanks for the most part are fine, bare bottom tanks with spawning mops are the way to go to maximize production, but that is not the only way to raise them Many of the more prolific can be breed in a heavily planted tank, some predate their own fry so leave the adults in the breeding tank for a week then remove them and wait and see if fry show up.
    An established planted tank works well for this method as the bio film that forms on plant surfaces provides a good first food source until you notice the fry and can start feeding microworms and bbs. Michael, Ted, and Dave have all breed killis as well so their input would be worth listening too as well.

As in many things in this hobby your results may vary....

Oh, room temp should be fine, and most of the "starter" killies are open to pretty much any water conditions.
    Aquaticus likes this.
  3. Rick

Rick Member

Whatever size tank you use, make sure you have a TIGHT fitting lid. I am not exaggerating. There are several crispy critters on my floor...and I try to make sure everything is tight. When you say you are going to be attending your first one, are you referring to W.A.K.O.? If so, I can help you out also.
    Rick
  4. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

Pat, you should try to make the WAKO Jamboree on Nov 2 and 3. That Saturday we will have three speakers, and one of the topics will be on Killifish basics.
  5. fishlady

fishlady Well-Known Member

Whichever one is this Sunday.
  6. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

Also I am buying two copies of Ed's book one for myself and one for the club library, you can borrow the one intended for the library.