lights

Discussion in 'Planted Aquarium Tech' started by eltrut420, Jan 27, 2013.

1. eltrut420

eltrut420 Member

i currently have a menards shop light with 2 regular (regular flourescent) bulbs in it. i think they are 6500k. i have algae issues and the paint is peeling and it looks bad. so anyone who has led lights or higher end lighting, does it make a huge difference and is it worth the investment. ive been lookin at some diff sites and actually im a little overwhelmed by all the choices. i do like the idea of the moonlight or whatever some of the higher end stuff has. the tank is a 75 with mbuna and some syno's. i guess im looking for some input into what is the best bang for your buck. or can i get decent bulbs for the fixture i have and if so what do i want to get. my fixture takes t8 bulbs.

thanks
  2. eltrut420

eltrut420 Member

i didnt know where else to post this so if it doesn't belog here can the mod move it to where it belongs?
  3. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

This is fine, What type of algae? It could be your bulbs are too old and just replacing them will make a difference, alternatively you might have too long of a photo period. What plants do you have in the tank?
  4. eltrut420

eltrut420 Member

i dont have plants,that s why i apologized for the post. im guessing the light is allowing the algae to grow faster than i want. its not out of control i just would like some better lights and i was looking for input.
  5. Edhurl

Edhurl Member

I use cfl's, your algae problem is because you have no plants. plants will help alot. That with co2 or excel will take care of most algaes
  6. eltrut420

eltrut420 Member

ok i guess i should have said the algae bugs me a little, but what im interested in is does a higher end fixture/bulb or led's make a difference in how the tank looks. is there a noticable difference between these types of lighting
  7. Edhurl

Edhurl Member

There's a difference in the way you see it some are brighter some seem whiter and some make fish or plants look different. As far as a difference for growing plants some may argue with me but as long as you have 6500k-6700k and a good amount of lumens you will grow plants fine. I stay away from high end and go with shop fixtures or diy (check out"Ed's 20 long" thread) hope this helps more
  8. Edhurl

Edhurl Member

Just reread the post, do you have interest in plants? If not try going to menards and get 3 or 4 different kelvin bulbs and try them out
  9. Marine590622

If you have no interest in plants replace the 65oo K blubs with 3000 k bulbs. the drop in temp kelvin will prevent the algae from growing as fast.

If you like the look of the tank under the lower kelvin rating you are done. the 3000 k bulbs are about 1/3 the cost. We often recommend 6500 K bulbs because that is really the minimum to get the plants growing.
  10. Marine590622

Led lighting, is it worth it.... As in so much else about this hobby it all depends. I have eleven led fixtures currently and I am looking to increase that, but the commercial fixtures are currently priced to high IMO. The fixtures I have were priced at $160.00 when you factor in energy savings and not having to replace bulbs over the estimated life of the light, I should save money. But I got the first wave of lights and my initial lights had a 33% failure rate. Then manufacturer replaced them and they are making design improvements so I have hope for LED lighting in the future, but for now I would recommend you research the pros and cons before dropping a ton of coin on them If you are interested in seeing them I welcome fishroom visits.