Lilies

Discussion in 'Pond Plants' started by fishlady, May 4, 2014.

1. fishlady

fishlady Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone else is seeing any growth on their water lilies yet. I checked mine today and I don't see anything growing yet.
  2. TANK

TANK Active Member

Mine old ones are growing. Also bought a new one(bare root) last week at Menards put it in the pond and it is already growing.
  3. fishlady

:( I might have killed mine then. I transplanted them last year and they didn't do so well, wasn't sure if it was the transplant or the koi messing with them because they would start to show growth and then it would disappear. Was like that all season.
  4. steve

steve Active Member

all of my lilies are really growing well this spring. one has already got a leaf up to the surface.
  5. power

power Member

mine are growing then the koi eat them:( im giving up on lilies in the koi pond
  6. TANK

TANK Active Member

My koi/goldfish don't seem to bother the lillies. I also have water hyacinth and water lettuce in the pond which they do eat the roots but eventually those plants bounce back.
  7. Natives2WI

Natives2WI Well-Known Member

Tank, do you have a picture thread of your avatar?
  8. TANK

TANK Active Member

No just the avatar
  9. fishlady

Still not seeing any growth on the pond lilies. Is it safe to assume that they all died and I need to start over?
  10. power

power Member

my lilies in the deeper part of my pond 2.5 ft show some growth but we need a liitle time in the 70's and 80's to get them to grow.
  11. duane stuermer

duane stuermer Active Member

This is from today
    [​IMG]
    But I overwintered them in the basement in a kiddy pool, and put them out around May 1st
    [​IMG]
  12. fishlady

My pond is 3' deep. Do you think if I bought some of the water lilies at menards I could just put them in my pond as is or should I replant them into a bigger pot?
  13. duane stuermer

duane stuermer Active Member

I bought some lilies a few years ago from Menards, and used the pot they came with, and they didn't take.(This may be just coincidence)
    The ones I have now, came from the "plant guy" who sells at the Milwaukee swaps and auctions (he usually has a table with gazillion types of pond, and aquarium plants hardy for our climate). They were already started, and in large pots, wet. The ones from Menards, seemed to be dormant bulbs, sold dry.
    Mine just got their first flower this week.
    [​IMG]
    Cinnamonsticks likes this.
  14. fishlady

Well I think I killed all mine so I am looking for more. If anyone is going to have extra's they would like to sell, or give away, please let me know. I am probably going to need quite a few of them since I can't have water hyacinth or water lettuce in the pond for a nitrate sponge anymore.
  15. Chuck

Chuck Advisory Board

I have a bulb I kept indoors over winter. It small but it's sprouting. I don't know what type, but I threw it in the auction
    fishlady likes this.
  16. fishlady

Bought some of these and put them in the pond on the bottom and hoping that they grow. Water is really green right now so not sure if I should hook up the uv sterilizer or wait and see if the plants grow and take up the nutrients so the waters not so green.
  17. TANK

TANK Active Member

I get a new one each year from Menards and they all are fine. The oldest one I have had for 4 years now and it has grown and divided. I kept them in the original pots until yesterday when I put them all in larger one gallon pots. Yes they are growing already, I had to be careful transplanting them so as not to break off the growth which is around 12" already.