Local plant collectors???

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquatic Plants' started by CO2mpulsive, Apr 24, 2015.

1. CO2mpulsive

CO2mpulsive Member

Does anyone go out locally and collect plants? It seems like there are lots of local plants that could be fun to grow, just not sure if others already do it. Always more fun to do those kinds of things with others I'd think.
  2. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

We went out as a group late last Summer and collected some local plants. Some did well, others did not. The ponds behind the Aldo Leopold Nature Center had the most interesting species.
  3. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

Eric and Chris have been out since you should talk to them.
  4. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

I have found Elodea Canadensis and Najas guadalupensis. the naja ended up melting for the most part after doing really well and i only have a few little pieces. the elodea is doing fairly well still. I also grab hornwort whenever I go out to my parents house in Lake Mills but I am still working a good way quarantine it and the acclimate it to aquarium temps quickly.
  5. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

I've collected a bunch of plants. The most successful are Val. americana, which you can find all over. I've tried several mosses with mixed results, and I've got Eriocaulon aquaticum and some Sagittaria that are limping along from earlier this summer. I also have an Eleocharis species from Aldo Leopold which is still growing, albeit slowly. Fun stuff!