Looking for fish

Discussion in 'Marine Fish' started by shawnfishguy, Sep 29, 2009.

1. shawnfishguy

shawnfishguy New Member

Not much action on the marine area. Let's get it started. I have been keeping salt water fish and inverts for a long time. Since I just moved recently I only have two tanks set up; a 15 extra skinny and high with two clowns, and a 58 overflow reef set-up. I am always looking for new fish and inverts.
  2. JamieO

JamieO Member

What fish do you have? I have a couple wrasses (cleaner, yellow coris, leopard), bar goby, royal gramma, hugh bicolor blenny, clown. I think that is all. Could one of these be picking on my flower pot?
  3. mlaursen

mlaursen Well-Known Member

Flower pots just tend to recede in general over time. Some wrasses do pick at coral but i wouldn't suspect the ones you have. It's been a decade since i had a reef tank going so hopefully someone else will chime in on this one.

Michael
  4. Sula

Sula Member

Does your clown try to use the flowerpot as a host? - Usually doesn't turn out to well for the flowerpot....
  5. JamieO

JamieO Member

No, my clown uses my frogspawn as a host. The frogspawn does not seem to mind. I moved the flower pot to a location with lower flow and it does seem to be helping.
  6. aquaticclarity

aquaticclarity Well-Known Member Staff Member

Not all clay flower pots are created equal. I have some that I picked up in order to drill out the bottom drain hole even larger to make some caves for some larger fish. I destroyed my hole saw bit on these post! I had to go get a masonory hole saw to get through them (I also found out that a rasp bit will work). Other flower pots that I have have drilled VERY easy, almost to easy as some have crumbled away in the process.

I think different types of clay get used and that the drying process isn't always the same so you get some flower pots that do not hold up very well in water and others that do just fine. Gazed and fired clay pots hold up the best of course.

Jeff
  7. tjudy

tjudy Advisory Board Staff Member

:lol: 'Flower pot' coral!!! :lol:
  8. JamieO

JamieO Member