looking for hyacinth

Discussion in 'Pond Plants' started by power, Apr 26, 2016.

1. power

power Member

I would like some for my koi pond
  2. TANK

TANK Active Member

I believe Water Hyacinth is not permitted in Wisconsin. If you are in Illinois I do have some.
    Natives2WI likes this.
  3. tjudy

tjudy Advisory Board Staff Member

Tank is correct... water hyacinth is now a prohibited plant in Wisconsin. So are water lettuce and parrot's feather.
  4. power

power Member

these are not permitted? I know I saw something like this at bruce co not long ago . im looking for a floating pond plant to put in my filter. Well people had it a year a or so ago . If any one has any give me a private message . I would like to buy a plant or two

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  5. power

power Member

6. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Both water lettuce and water hyacinth are forbidden in Wisconsin. I don't think the government does a good job of informing businesses when rules like this change, though, because I regularly see these plants for sale. I also regularly see crawfish for sale at aquarium stores. It's pretty bad when a large Wisconsin based mail order supply shop like Drs. Foster Smith doesn't even know these rules.
  7. tjudy

Especially when Dr's Foster & Smith is (or at least was) providing the 'industry representative' to the committee that discusses what is put onto the list.
    Aquaticus likes this.
  8. Narwhal72

Narwhal72 Well-Known Member

Fosters and Smiths plants don't ship from Wisconsin. But you are right that they need to update their website that they can't ship into Wisconsin.

Frogbit is a legal floating plant that you can use in a pond in Wisconsin.
  9. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

To clarify, Amazon frogbit is legal. European frogbit is not.
  10. power

power Member

Anyway to the pessimist out there , I found what I was looking for I will just grow a few plants during the winter just like the person I got them from has been doing for years then I don't have to bother with regulations
  11. tjudy

Just having the plant is prohibited. No fine or ticket has ever been issued for a violation of the NR40 law, but ignoring it is not a good idea. You are risking our hobby to fulfill your personal, and irresponsible, desire for a plant that you should not have.

The Madison Area Aquatic Hobbyists organization does not support the keeping or distribution of any species listed as Prohibited or Caution in NR40. We respect the rule, and the people who have the very hard job of protecting the natural resources of Wisconsin. The aquarium hobby has been blamed for introductions of invasive species that did not come from us, and we (members of MAAH) have been able to counter those allegations and demonstrate that there are many aquarium hobbyists who are responsible with the plants and animals we keep.

Please do not keep prohibited species. If you do decide to break the law, please do not discuss doing so here.
    Dave, Natives2WI, Chuck and 5 others like this.
  12. Chuck

Chuck Advisory Board

I have worked in the pet field and have seen more and more species being banned ( particularly cichlids and plants) in various states. That is why we no longer can get any snake heads, Anacharis, Hygrophillia polysperma, et. There was serious talk a couple of years ago about banning Malasian Trumpet Snails. That would do in just about every fish retailer in the country if it is strictly enforced.
    I am not a big one on regulations , but I follow the law. We have to police ourselves as a hobby and an industry. The more attention we draw with negative press , the harder it is to show the value we offer saving species.
    It just ain't worth it
  13. tjudy

They did ban Malaysian trumpet snails.... we cannot have them in Wisconsin. I would love to know how to get rid of them!!!
    Dave and JeffW like this.
  14. waterboy

waterboy Active Member

If we tell them we have them will they come and confiscate them? ......hopefully.
  15. Mike F

Mike F Executive Board

If they can't survive our winters, I wonder what the reasoning is?
  16. TANK

TANK Active Member

The DNR spoke at a MAS meeting earlier this year and said that Water Hyacinth had survived a winter in Lake Winnebago once so they feel it is a threat.
  17. Mike F

Mike F Executive Board

I mean the malaysian trumpet snails
  18. Chuck

Chuck Advisory Board

Can you imagine how much that would cost the taxpayer? I am all for controls on invasive species but sometimes it's silly to pass a law on something unenforceable like the snails. That ship sailed Long ago.
  19. tjudy

Here is why the snail is listed. It is not in Wisconsin waters, that we know of, but it is already in areas of the USA with like climate:

Nonindigenous Occurrences: Arizona; San Francisco Bay, California (Ruiz 2000); Colorado; Florida; Hawai'i; Louisiana (Dundee 1977); Montana; North Carolina; Nevada; Oregon; Utah (USFWS 2005); and Texas (USFWS 2005). (Unconfirmed in South Dakota, Virginia, and Wyoming)

Means of Introduction: Imported by the aquarium industry as early as the 1930s. Some of the early known populations most likely began from local aquarium hobbyists' releases.

Status: Established for many years from Florida to Texas and may still be expanding its range in the West and Northeast.

Impact of Introduction: Melanoides tuberculata may be able to outcompete and replace native snails. Additionally, M. tuberculata is a known host for an introduced trematode (Centrocestus formosanus) that parastizes many species of fish, including the endangered fountain darter (Ethsostoma fonticola), and will consume benthic fish eggs (Mitchell et al. 2007; Phillips et al. 2010). Other parasites have also been found associated with this snail which can infect humans (Mitchell et al. 2007).

Remarks: Melanoides tuberculata can breed parthenogenically and brood young internally. Temperature range is from 18-32° Celsius. Research has been conducted to determine the snails lethal water temperature, about 50° Celsius (120° Fahrenheit), for the disinfection fishing gear and research equipment which may inadvertently spreading snails to uninfested waters (A. Mitchell, personal communication).
    Tom likes this.
  20. tjudy

Here is a link to a map where water hyacinth has been found in the wild in Wisconsin: map
    Tom likes this.